Thanks for the input thus far
I have started a new thread to make it clearer hopefully!
Leaving Sydney on Wednesday 14 June with daughter 23 and son 20
Probably grab a flight through the Middle East and then straight to Berlin..I've booked the Adina hotel apartments
Does anyone know this hotel?
Thursday15 through to Monday 19 we will spend exploring Berlin and perhaps Potsdam and maybe even take a trip out to Nuremberg
Like I said in my other thread we don't want to just focus on the war and holocaust so it'd be nice to see parks and architecture..although I do realise that Berlin is a mishmash of new and old
We won't be clubbing or dining out every night...mostly just walking and seeing the sights..looking forward to good food..not drinkers so won't worry bout the beer...can anyone recommend good eats..even chains that we can grab something on the go?
Had great food in Vienna so I'm assuming it's similar?
Some time on the 20th we will fly to Kraków
I've booked the Venetian ..just missed out on the lovely orlowska apartments
I wanted to be close to the main square or the rynek/ markets
We will visit auschwitZ..maybe the salt mines and have alook around Kraków and its surrounds
We have two full days and three nights
On the 23rd of June, a Friday we will fly to Munich and it's quite possible that OH may join us on the following day so I booked the Mercure hotel muenchen aldstadt
It was difficult to find anything so we opted for two rooms with breakfast we are looking at 301aud per night for each room
So many rooms were unavailable..like the family suites were either nonexistent or taken
This seems like a good option close to Marienplatz but it does have a big building opposite it so maybe it's a bit gloomy?
Can anyone comment?
OH wants to hire a car in Munich ..does anyone know of a car park near the old town? Would finding a car park be problematic? I think the Mercure doesn't offer any parking even Offsite
I don't mind getting trains for further afield but OH loves his independence
(I'll keep trying to get something else near Marienplatz... I think it might be more interesting to be around that area..agree? I'm not entirely sure that accommodation is all booked out so early in the piece...could it be that dates aren't available because it's simply too early? What has your experience been with Europe in June/ July? The reviews for Mercure are good..I'd like a nicer outlook maybe but can't justify huge amounts a of money either..I wouldn't mind a pension and have looked at seibel near Marienplatz but it's reviews are so-so and I'm sick of so- so...Louis hotel looks fine but again it's seems to be booked out so is the carat and blauer block)
I'd like to explore Munich and maybe further afield if OH gets a car..is it better perhaps to do a loop? I'm not looking forward to arranging accommodation along the way though...not with the trouble I'm experiencing at the moment so I'm tending towards bunking down in Munich and just doing day trips ..we have five nights in Munich
We will fly out to athens Wednesday 28 June and have booked Athens gate hotel for three nights
Will visit Acropolis and plaka area and then spend the next two weeks on a hired catamaran sailing around three or four islands for 2 weeks
I welcome any suggestions especially on the hotels I've chosen...if you have stayed in lovely pensions that are near the old towns I'd be interested to see if they're available for our dates
Thank you all in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://menshealthcme.com/alpha-plus/
- 2 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 3 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 4 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 5 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 6 Uber vs. TfL
- 7 Berlin
- 8 Greek Village
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 11 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 12 Germany or Sweden
- 13 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 14 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 15 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 16 Two days in Rome
- 17 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 18 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 19 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 20 PARIS
- 21 One free day in Barcelona
- 22 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 23 Spain: train/rental car help
- 24 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 25 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?