So I think that my itinerary for the summer trip to Europe with my two young boys is final. I thought it was final a few weeks ago until my husband decided to join us mid-trip. I am including a few route options that I'd like opinions on if possible, as well as listing some day activities that I've found. I'd love some insight on any of these activities if you have it; i.e. are they worth the drive, the price, will they hold the interest of two boys, 6 and 8! Thanks in advance! They are typical boys
Day 1: Flight LAX to Brussels (assuming British Airways LHR to BRU will continue as planned)
Day 2: Arrive Brussels early evening, rental car pick up, and drive to Retie Belgium on the Dutch border, 1/2 hour from Eindhoven.
Days 3-5: Day trip options from Retie: Zaanse Schans, Genneper Parks (Outdoor Museum particularly), Efteling. My oldest son wants to go to Gouda, but we won't be there for cheese market. Kinderdijk?
Day 6: Drive from Retie to Freiburg. This will be a long day in the car. Route options through Holland and into Germany (maybe too much construction) or south through Belgium/France/Germany. Considering planning a stop to break up the drive. Bokrijk? Trier?
Days 7 and 8: Freibug. We will be just north of Freiburg at the end of the trip for a few days. Day trip ideas are Colmar, Basel, Koenigsburg Castle, Ecomuseum of Alsace in Ungersheim , Eguisheim, Belchen Seilbahn.
Day 9: Drive to Stuttgart on way to Munich. Overnight in Stuttgart. Plan to leave Freiburg early and take the boys to the Porsche Museum.
Day 10: Stuttgart to Augsburg. This is the day my husband arrives in Munich. Having him take the train to Augsburg so that the boys and I aren't driving forever. We have a friend's apartment in Augsburg for the night.
Days 11: Augsburg to Maria Alm
Days 11-16: Hotel in Maria Alm. Options for the days are Grossglocknerstrasse (High Alpine Road), Zell Am See, Saalachtaler Naturgewalten, Erlebnispark Familienland, Salt Mines (not sure which ones?), Eisriesenwelt.
Day 16: Drive Maria Alm to Chiemsee. I have always wanted to visit Berchtestgaden. Thought this might be a nice time to do it.
Days 17 and 18: Chiemsee. No plans if the weather is good except swimming at the Chiemsee from Gstadt.
Day 19: Drive to a tiny town (Fluorn Winzeln) to stay with friends. Dropping husband off in Munich.
Days 20-22: Fluorn Winzeln (Southwest of Tuebingen.) Would like to see a couple of Black Forest towns. Vogtsbauernhof in Gutach? Wolfach, Shiltach, Haslach all are very close.
Day 23: Drive to Freiburg. Stop in Gengenbach on way in?
Days 24-26: Freiburg. See options above.
Day 27: Begin drive back to Brussels. Stop in Belgium just outside of Luxembourg City. Worth doing a few hours in Luxembourg City? Chemin de la Corniche?
Day 28: Drive to Brussels.
Day 29: Ghent?
Day 30: Fly home.
I am tired just reading this! I thank you for any info you have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 3 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 4 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Trogir or Split
- 7 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 8 Help on ancient history route
- 9 Edinbrugh
- 10 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 11 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 12 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 13 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 14 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 15 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 16 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 17 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 18 Berlin to ?
- 19 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 20 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 21 Maximizing Norway time
- 22 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 23 Hotels in Turin
- 24 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 25 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?