Thanks to many of you for already providing valuable insights and links to more resources for our mid-September trip (pre-cruise from Barcelona). I've booked my flights today…so on to the next step…accommodations and length of time per stop. I'd love to hear your comments about both of these…especially if you think I should spend more time somewhere and less time somewhere else. I'm particularly unclear of how to best handle French Basque area.
Here's what I'm planning to do unless convinced otherwise.
Day 1 (Thursday): Arrive Bilbao airport 1500; Hotel Miro (we're arriving after 3 flights and 19hr. 20 min total flight time so might just have enough energy for pintxos nearby)
Day 2 (Friday): see Guggenheim, maybe Art Museum, then get bus to
San Sebastian; Sercotel Codina hotel.
Day 3 (Saturday): San Sebastian; Sercotel Codina hotel; get rental car at SS airport and tour Hondaribbia in afternoon
Day 4 (Sunday) drive to St. Jean de Luz, France; La Reserve Hotel
Day 5 (Monday) St. Jean de Luz; La Reserve Hotel (visit Biarritz)
Day 6 (Tuesday) St. Jean de Luz: La Reserve Hotel (visit mountain towns) OR Ainhoa; Ithurria Hotel OR spend another night at Hotel Arche in St. Etienne de Baigorry
Day 7 (Wednesday) St. Etienne de Baigorry; Hotel Arche
Day 8 (Thursday) drive to Ainsa, Spain; Los Siete Reyes
Day 9-12 (Friday-Monday) Return car in Barcelona; Condes de Barcelona
Day 12: Depart Barcelona on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise
Thanking you in advance for taking the time to respond during this busy holiday season!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 Will I need to go through immigration at Heathrow?
- 3 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 4 Loire or Provence in January?
- 5 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 6 Uber Apologizes for London Mistakes...
- 7 Rome or Venice first
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 10 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 11 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 12 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 13 Entertaining 17 year-old in Rome
- 14 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 15 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 16 Day trip from London in December
- 17 Place to Eat in Aix-en-Provence
- 18 Good Pocket Map Guide To Amsterdam
- 19 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 20 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 21 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 22 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 23 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 24 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 25 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley