So after reading up here and in a couple of other places and identifying what we want to see and do, my friend and I have come up with the following itinerary. Any comments or suggestions? We are still torn about whether or not it is worth while to try the night train (pullman) from Madrid or just stay one extra night in Madrid and take the plane.
ITINERARY (The numbers refer to "day 1, 2, 3... of a 21 day itinerary.)
1 Thursday Transit/Plane US to Madrid
2 Friday--After checking into hotel and resting a little, take Madrid hop on hop off bus (2 day ticket) Get a sense for the city.
3 Saturday--Use hop on hop off bus to get to museums, etc.
4 Sunday--Museums and sights in Madrid, make time for Mass in some interesting church.
5 Monday--(organized tour to/from Madrid) Avila and Segovia (9 hours)
6 Tuesday--(organized tour to/from Madrid) Toledo and Escorial Tour (11 hours or split over two days?)
7 Wednesday--plans tba – Probably Flamenco in the evening.
8 Thursday-- Stay one more night in Madrid or maybe leave Madrid and sleep in train?
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA PART:
9 Friday--Arrive Santiago de Compostela by around noon to begin sightseeing.
(Do laundry in Madrid or here.)
10 Saturday --Sightsee SdeC possibly attend evening mass at cathedral? Meal at Hostal Reyes Catolicos?
11 Sunday --(Organized tour to/from SdeC) Finisterre tour includes lunch
12 Monday --Go by train to La Coruña to explore
13 Tuesday --(Organized tour to/from SdeC) Galicia Lower Estuaries tour includes lunch
14 Wednesday--Leave Santiago de Compostela via MAD, end in London for dinner. (Laundry today or tomorrow)
15 Thursday--Take London Hop on Hop off Bus or some sort of survey tour Probably visit the Tower or whatever friend wants. (Been to Tower 2ce before.)
16 Friday--Take underground to Westminster then boat to Greenwich see museum and Cutty Sark (on our own). In the evening good nightclub or dinner
17 Saturday--(Organized Tour to/from London) Cambridge and Oxford full day tour
18 Sunday--London Museums and sights – Go to major cathedral for church service?
19 Monday--Full day in Bath. Return late (train--on our own)
20 Tues--London Museums etc.
21 Weds Depart London. If all goes well, sleep in US Exhausted but satisfied, I hope.
What do you all think? We have tentatively picked hotels and airline (three part trip: US to Madrid, Madrid to London, London to US) We thought a mixture of day tours and some excursions on our own would be best. (I hate seeing museums in a rush while the tour guide points out what s/he thinks is interesting.)
Any ideas for more things to do or better ways to manage time?
Thanks in advance.
Feedback on Trip Plans Spain and London (May June)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: 10 Days in Spain
- 2 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 3 a hostel in Moscow, Russia
- 4 My final (hopefully) Dresden Itinerary for Review
- 5 Anybody in Amalfi right now? Weather?
- 6 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 7 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 8 Spending money in Italy?
- 9 Passport Delays
- 10 Copenhagen - Must see places and time required in city!!
- 11 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 12 Train from Copenhagen to Stockholm; Best site to book and when?
- 13 Stockholm Metro Stations
- 14 Crazy Trying to Rent a Car
- 15 Study Abroad: Amsterdam vs Berlin vs Prague
- 16 British English
- 17 August highway traffic problems in Italy???
- 18 Spain for 7 days
- 19 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 20 Southern Italy, Pompeii and where to stay
- 21 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 22 London: Open-Air Winter Swimming...Take the Plunge!
- 23 Venice veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 24 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 25 Brugge photo on Bing