So after reading up here and in a couple of other places and identifying what we want to see and do, my friend and I have come up with the following itinerary. Any comments or suggestions? We are still torn about whether or not it is worth while to try the night train (pullman) from Madrid or just stay one extra night in Madrid and take the plane.
ITINERARY (The numbers refer to "day 1, 2, 3... of a 21 day itinerary.)
1 Thursday Transit/Plane US to Madrid
2 Friday--After checking into hotel and resting a little, take Madrid hop on hop off bus (2 day ticket) Get a sense for the city.
3 Saturday--Use hop on hop off bus to get to museums, etc.
4 Sunday--Museums and sights in Madrid, make time for Mass in some interesting church.
5 Monday--(organized tour to/from Madrid) Avila and Segovia (9 hours)
6 Tuesday--(organized tour to/from Madrid) Toledo and Escorial Tour (11 hours or split over two days?)
7 Wednesday--plans tba – Probably Flamenco in the evening.
8 Thursday-- Stay one more night in Madrid or maybe leave Madrid and sleep in train?
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA PART:
9 Friday--Arrive Santiago de Compostela by around noon to begin sightseeing.
(Do laundry in Madrid or here.)
10 Saturday --Sightsee SdeC possibly attend evening mass at cathedral? Meal at Hostal Reyes Catolicos?
11 Sunday --(Organized tour to/from SdeC) Finisterre tour includes lunch
12 Monday --Go by train to La Coruña to explore
13 Tuesday --(Organized tour to/from SdeC) Galicia Lower Estuaries tour includes lunch
14 Wednesday--Leave Santiago de Compostela via MAD, end in London for dinner. (Laundry today or tomorrow)
15 Thursday--Take London Hop on Hop off Bus or some sort of survey tour Probably visit the Tower or whatever friend wants. (Been to Tower 2ce before.)
16 Friday--Take underground to Westminster then boat to Greenwich see museum and Cutty Sark (on our own). In the evening good nightclub or dinner
17 Saturday--(Organized Tour to/from London) Cambridge and Oxford full day tour
18 Sunday--London Museums and sights – Go to major cathedral for church service?
19 Monday--Full day in Bath. Return late (train--on our own)
20 Tues--London Museums etc.
21 Weds Depart London. If all goes well, sleep in US Exhausted but satisfied, I hope.
What do you all think? We have tentatively picked hotels and airline (three part trip: US to Madrid, Madrid to London, London to US) We thought a mixture of day tours and some excursions on our own would be best. (I hate seeing museums in a rush while the tour guide points out what s/he thinks is interesting.)
Any ideas for more things to do or better ways to manage time?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 2 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 3 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 4 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 5 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 6 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 7 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 8 Leather goods in Florence
- 9 4 days in Provence in early June
- 10 Picnic Spot Near Assisi
- 11 Transportation
- 12 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 13 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 14 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 15 Things to do in Montpellier
- 16 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 17 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 18 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 19 France Itinerary Advice
- 20 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 21 Portugal by Train or Car?
- 22 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 23 A week in and around London at Christmas
- 24 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 25 Bouldering in Fountainebleau