I've searched the forum and have seen some mention of the east part of Rome, particularly between the Colosseum and the Lateran area, is less safe than a little bit west (and where the more expensive hotels are). However, I also saw some mention that the area may have gotten "safer" in the past several years. I am seeking some feedback on that area, and specifically, the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 (preferably from fodorites who've been there in the recent past). While my partner and I have lived in Washington D.C. and are aware of being mindful about ourselves and belongings and associated safety precautions when walking city streets, we'd rather not have to be so concerned when we're on vacation. (I do realize that theft is very common in Rome, particularly on certain buses and trains and so we will be attending to our surroundings....but I'd just like to be able to walk around on the blocks around our hotel without being on "high alert" so to speak. ) I hope this makes sense.
Bottom line: What are your opinions of the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 in Rome?
Thanks so much in advance. I've posted here just once before and received so much valuable feedback. This forum and its posters are wonderful!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 2 Valencia Spain
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 5 Getting around London
- 6 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 7 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 8 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 9 The DCC scam is spreading
- 10 Favorite Champagne houses in Reims and surrounding area
- 11 Iceland in January/February
- 12 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 13 Driving in Italy
- 14 Paris in August
- 15 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 16 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 17 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 18 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 19 Rome Water Shortage
- 20 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 21 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 22 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 23 Train travel to and from Paris
- 24 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 25 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.