I've searched the forum and have seen some mention of the east part of Rome, particularly between the Colosseum and the Lateran area, is less safe than a little bit west (and where the more expensive hotels are). However, I also saw some mention that the area may have gotten "safer" in the past several years. I am seeking some feedback on that area, and specifically, the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 (preferably from fodorites who've been there in the recent past). While my partner and I have lived in Washington D.C. and are aware of being mindful about ourselves and belongings and associated safety precautions when walking city streets, we'd rather not have to be so concerned when we're on vacation. (I do realize that theft is very common in Rome, particularly on certain buses and trains and so we will be attending to our surroundings....but I'd just like to be able to walk around on the blocks around our hotel without being on "high alert" so to speak. ) I hope this makes sense.
Bottom line: What are your opinions of the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 in Rome?
Thanks so much in advance. I've posted here just once before and received so much valuable feedback. This forum and its posters are wonderful!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our time in Rome
- 2 Flight connection in CDG
- 3 France for a month in 2017
- 4 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 5 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 6 Paris restaurants in/near 12th arr.
- 7 Barcelona extension
- 8 Dinan or Avranches to visit Le Mont St. Michel?
- 9 Exploring Extraordinary Extremadura
- 10 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 11 Naples or Genoa
- 12 Stockholm Transport/ tours- Port Vartahamnen
- 13 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 14 a few hours in Stockholm
- 15 Amalfi Coast or the Lakes and where to fit in France?
- 16 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 17 Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions
- 18 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 19 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 20 Vuerling airlines
- 21 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 22 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 23 Stonehenge After Hour tour
- 24 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 25 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London