I've searched the forum and have seen some mention of the east part of Rome, particularly between the Colosseum and the Lateran area, is less safe than a little bit west (and where the more expensive hotels are). However, I also saw some mention that the area may have gotten "safer" in the past several years. I am seeking some feedback on that area, and specifically, the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 (preferably from fodorites who've been there in the recent past). While my partner and I have lived in Washington D.C. and are aware of being mindful about ourselves and belongings and associated safety precautions when walking city streets, we'd rather not have to be so concerned when we're on vacation. (I do realize that theft is very common in Rome, particularly on certain buses and trains and so we will be attending to our surroundings....but I'd just like to be able to walk around on the blocks around our hotel without being on "high alert" so to speak. ) I hope this makes sense.
Bottom line: What are your opinions of the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 in Rome?
Thanks so much in advance. I've posted here just once before and received so much valuable feedback. This forum and its posters are wonderful!
Feedback on location of hotel in east rome
- 1 Chambermaid tipping
- 2 WOW Russia Tours St. Petersburg
- 3 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 4 2 Week European Itinerary
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Car in Prague
- 7 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 8 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 9 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 10 Cell phones in Europe if my current phone isn't international capable?
- 11 Rome Accommodation
- 12 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 13 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 14 Istanbul hotels
- 15 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 16 Germany with our 2 girls....help with itinerary
- 17 TGV and Provence questions
- 18 On TCM on 4/28/06 Cinema Paradiso
- 19 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 20 Driving Slovenia & Noerthern Croatia
- 21 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 22 To Paris and Provence in June
- 23 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 24 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 25 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)