I've searched the forum and have seen some mention of the east part of Rome, particularly between the Colosseum and the Lateran area, is less safe than a little bit west (and where the more expensive hotels are). However, I also saw some mention that the area may have gotten "safer" in the past several years. I am seeking some feedback on that area, and specifically, the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 (preferably from fodorites who've been there in the recent past). While my partner and I have lived in Washington D.C. and are aware of being mindful about ourselves and belongings and associated safety precautions when walking city streets, we'd rather not have to be so concerned when we're on vacation. (I do realize that theft is very common in Rome, particularly on certain buses and trains and so we will be attending to our surroundings....but I'd just like to be able to walk around on the blocks around our hotel without being on "high alert" so to speak. ) I hope this makes sense.
Bottom line: What are your opinions of the location of Hotel Maikol at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 138 in Rome?
Thanks so much in advance. I've posted here just once before and received so much valuable feedback. This forum and its posters are wonderful!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 2 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 3 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 4 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 5 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 6 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 7 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 8 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 9 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 10 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 11 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 12 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 13 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 14 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 15 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 16 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 17 Europe First Timers
- 18 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 19 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 20 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 21 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 22 Iceland for Nine Days
- 23 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 24 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 25 Rome or Venice first