My partner and I are travelling to Spain for 3 weeks (21 nights) late September-mid October. It is our honeymoon. I have the LP and RG books but would like some personal experience on what I have researched.
About us: We would like a combination of romance and true exploration. We enjoy food/wine and want to ensure we have some downtime but also really want to explore the history, architecture and art. My partner is an amateur photographer. We have tried to narrow down to 3 'areas' with about a week in each.
I'm looking for advice on the following:
-is the suggested itinerary below too ambitious/busy?
-If yes, what would you skip?
-Any replacement town suggestions?
-Do we really need to book hotels in advance in most places or can we wing it so we have more flexibility to stay or leave somewhere based on experience? Are there any places you recommend we certainly try to book ahead?
Madrid & Surrounds (7 nights)
-Fly into Madrid
-3.5 full days in Madrid
-Day trip to toledo (or take time madrid and spend a night here?)
-Day trip to Segovia
-1 overnight (2 days) in Salamanca
Andalusia (7 nights)
-3 days Seville
-2 days Cordoba
-2 days Granada
Rioja/Navarra, Basque, San Sebastian (we are wine lovers) (6 nights)
(Rent a Car)
-3 nights Pamplona (home base for touring and one full day in Pamplona itself)
-2 days exploring Haro, Lograno by car
-3 nights San Sebastian
-day trip to Bilbao (or spend a night?)
Travel back to Madrid for one night to fly out early morning.
(any benefit to doing Andalucia last?)
thank you so much in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 2 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 3 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 4 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 5 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 6 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 7 Help with Italy Itinerary
- 8 Moldova and Transnistria
- 9 Camogli and surrounds
- 10 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 11 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 12 Whistle stop family road trip
- 13 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 14 SURPRISE TRIP
- 15 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 16 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 17 travel fan 220v?
- 18 Palermo Apartment
- 19 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 20 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 21 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 22 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 23 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 24 Barcelona - places to stay
- 25 Need advice on Seville-Tarifa/Tangier-Malaga itinerary