Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ibiiza Spain
- 2 Liverpool, Cardiff & Salisbury - how would you do it?
- 3 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 4 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 5 Couscous
- 6 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 7 Cartagena Spain
- 8 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 9 3 nights in Madrid
- 10 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 11 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 12 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 13 CULINARY EXPLORING IN MADRID, SEVILLA, GAUCIN AND MALAGA
- 14 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 15 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 16 Help with Ireland Trip
- 17 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 18 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 19 Exchange ZAR in Turkey
- 20 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 21 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 22 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 23 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 24 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 25 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland