Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 2 http://musclegainfast.com/penetrex-male-enhancement/
- 3 Paris---baguette question???
- 4 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 5 French immersion courses in France
- 6 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 7 Scenic Driving Routes
- 8 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 9 Berlin
- 10 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 11 1-Day Drive: Ballyvaughan to Dublin, which of these 3 routes?
- 12 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 13 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 14 English Countryside
- 15 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 16 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 17 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 18 Pyrenees 10-Day Driving Itinerary
- 19 Visiting Spain in January
- 20 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 21 Flights from Croatia
- 22 Amsterdam Festival of LIghts
- 23 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 24 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 25 Visiting Europe for 1 week: Prague or Rome?
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland