Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help With Vienna
- 2 Nice or Marseille??
- 3 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 4 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 5 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 6 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 7 Air pollution in Paris
- 8 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 9 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 10 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 11 France, Italy and Greec
- 12 gites de france or agritourism
- 13 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 14 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 15 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 16 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 17 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 18 Trains in Italy
- 19 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 20 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 21 Dresden or Leipzig
- 22 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 23 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 24 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 25 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11