Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 2 Perugia
- 3 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 4 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 5 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 6 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 7 Areas in Milan
- 8 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 9 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 10 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 11 Ireland itinerary help please
- 12 No Periods in British Written English!
- 13 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 14 CDG much improved
- 15 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 16 St Denis Cathedral
- 17 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 18 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 19 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 20 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 21 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 22 Rouen Tour Companies
- 23 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 24 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 25 Ronda Wine/biking
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland