Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 2 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 3 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 4 Vacation in Great Britain
- 5 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 6 Switzerland Itinerary in 5 days early-June
- 7 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 8 We're here!
- 9 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 10 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 11 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 12 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 13 Info about Poland
- 14 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 15 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 16 Barcelona question
- 17 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 18 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 19 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 20 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 21 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 22 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 23 Interesting places to visit
- 24 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 25 Short Spain Trip - questions
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland