Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 2 Suggestions for cheaper destinations for mid-twenties couple
- 3 Bank of America ATM Global Alliance Scam
- 4 Restaurant favorites in Stresa and Bellagio
- 5 Stockholm Hotel Tegnerlunden or Birger Jarl?
- 6 Hotels (moderately priced) in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo?
- 7 Drive or train Austria
- 8 Santorini for three nights
- 9 Hertz "exact model" rental Paris
- 10 Itinerary Help: Granada or Madrid??
- 11 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 12 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 13 Pompeii and Amalfi in three days
- 14 Leaving tomorrow for Spain and am getting overwhelmed!
- 15 Best way to access Australian-based cash on holidays in Europe?
- 16 St Moritz hiking
- 17 An extra day between Edinburgh and London
- 18 Driving Trip Basque Country and/or Aquitaine Pls Advise
- 19 Getting to Giverny
- 20 Toledo or Segovia
- 21 Stops between Frankfurt and Berner Oberland
- 22 Advice for overnight Istanbul layover?
- 23 Why should I go to Norway in Oct?
- 24 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 25 Italy train travel question
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland