Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 favorite app for converting US $$
- 2 Dublin and Northern Ireland with public transportation
- 3 Day trips from Rome? or overnight?
- 4 One week in London with kids
- 5 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 6 Meeting up in the Zurich airport
- 7 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 8 Trip in September
- 9 help with europe itinary
- 10 Iceland with Young Kids
- 11 Switzerland
- 12 Wake Up Mods
- 13 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 14 One Day in Vienna
- 15 Escorted tours Norway
- 16 credit and debit cards
- 17 Best Tour to see Pisa and Cinque Terra
- 18 Western/Central Europe Itinerary help
- 19 Romans Lament Changing Yellow Lights to
- 20 Help with basic itinerary
- 21 Charming areas to explore in London
- 22 Light weight small converter?
- 23 Cornwall - St. Ives, SW Coastal Path-Travel Questions Need Answering!
- 24 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 25 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland