Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 2 Tour groups
- 3 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 4 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 5 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 6 So much to do, so little time!
- 7 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 8 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 9 Baby Milk
- 10 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 11 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 12 French restaurants
- 13 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 14 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 15 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 16 Driving in Italy?
- 17 Back from Bologna, trip report
- 18 Luggage Storage at Barcelona Port
- 19 Super Cover For Hertz
- 20 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 21 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 22 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 23 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 24 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 25 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland