Our family of 2 adults + 2 toddlers (age 2 and 5 years old) will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in mid Jul for 15 days trip. While we had been on road trip in UK and France, this will be our first time here.
We have a draft itinerary however we would very much appreciate your input to fine tune the plan. Traveling with 2 young ones, we prefer to go for more scenic route instead of adventurous ones. Here's the draft:
Frankfurt (1 day) -- pick up car
Nuremberg / Rothenburg (1 day)
Munich (2 days)
Salzburg / Hallstatt (2 days)
Lucerne (1 day) -- by train from Salzburg
Basel / Colmar (3 days) -- drive from Lucerne
Black Forest (2 days)
Frankurt (1 day)
1. Is the above routes alright, or are we over ambitious?
2. We plan to rent a car except for the journey from Salzburg - Lucerne (which seem like a long journey). Is this economical and is the road condition too challenging considering we are right-hand drivers here? We though renting a car allow us better flexibility with the kids.
3. Which would be the recommended car rental in these countries?
4. After reading much feedback we're considering to leave Neuswanstein Castle and Zurich out from our itinerary. Will prefer to choose a castle that does not have such long queues and not too long drive. Are we making the right decision here..?
5. Understand there are travel pass / permit requires when driving in Switzerland, is it mandatory and how can we purchase that before the trip?
Feedback needed for family trip to Germany-Austria-Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 2 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence
- 3 Ireland or Scotland
- 4 Anyone used London Connections to book an apartment in London?
- 5 Tips on renting a car in Oxford
- 6 From Denver to Virtuous
- 7 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 8 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 9 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 10 Off the beaten path in Italy
- 11 Cotswolds first time
- 12 Have 4 Ticket to Eiffel Tower Summit for sale 31.08, early afternoon
- 13 need advise on first time travel to Europe
- 14 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 15 7 days in London in Dec with family
- 16 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 17 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 18 Day trips from Bologna
- 19 The east coast of Italy
- 20 Schengen rule made easy
- 21 Vacation in Spain ,Madrid-Sevilla-Cadiz-!Cordova-Lisboa
- 22 What are Your Favorite Kid-Friendly Hotels in Paris?
- 23 Where to rent a house for 1 or 2 months during summer in Europe
- 24 Grad Schools in London?
- 25 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia