I was on a Friday-Monday trip to Sevilla with two friends in the beginning of October, and I was so enchanted I decided to organize a family trip to Andalucia for the school vacation a month later.
We are five, on a budget, and I started planning just two weeks before departure.
I initially planned for us to be away for 10 days and to include Granada, Malaga, Cordoba, Sevilla and Cadiz. We had to shorten it to 8 days (including travelling days), so I decided to cut out Malaga.
I looked for low-cost flights from Paris to one of the destinations on our list, and the least expensive alternative was to take Vueling from Paris to Granada (ca 600€ for five) and return on Vueling Sevilla – Paris (ca 500€ for five). Other alternative companies I looked at were Transavia and Ryanair.
( In October I had gone Paris - Sevilla roundtrip with Transavia for 70€/pers, booked five months ahead.)
So this is how it turned out:
Day 1 - flight with Vueling Paris - Granada (6h55 – 12h).
When booking, this sounded like a really good idea; travel in the morning and have the rest of the day on location. But at the Orly airport we were informed that the flight was delayed and our connecting flight in Barcelona was rebooked to 7.30 in the evening.
We arrived in Barcelona around 11 am, picked up some restaurant tickets from Vueling as a compensation for the delay, had coffee, snacks at the airport, and took the really slow train to the centre of Barcelona to wait for our evening flight. Barcelona was gray and cold when we arrived at the station near Casa Battlo http://www.casabatllo.es/. We took some pictures of the facade and started strolling down Passeig de Gràcia to Plaça de Catalunya and on to las Ramblas. We decided to have lunch at a restaurant on a side street from La Rambla - L'Eucaliptus, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d1795392-Reviews-L_eucaliptus-Barcelona_Catalonia.html - good and inexpensive.
Barcelona is wonderful - when it is your planned destination.
After lunch we slowly walked back to the train station and took the slow train back to the airport, used up the last restaurant tickets, went through security, boarded the plane and were finally on our way to Granada.
We landed at 10 o clock at night and took the airport shuttle to our hotel, Hotel Saray:
Being on a budget, my goal was to find lodging around 100€/night for the five of us. At the hotel Saray we had two rooms (1 double, 1 triple) for a total of 107€/night. This hotel is within walking distance of central Granada, and is fine unless you look for something charming, typical Andalus.
After this very long first day we went straight to bed.
Family trip: Andalucia in November
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 2 suggested day bag
- 3 Naples airport, bag storage, pizza, crime?
- 4 Where can I get a Hermes Birkin bag without a waiting list?
- 5 Tripadvisor just sent me a large-ish canvas bag!
- 6 2.5 Weeks in Europe Bag - Carry On
- 7 Dol face English Bulldog puppy for Adoption email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 8 Help Choosing a bag?
- 9 summer travel handbags offered ,AAA quality .
- 10 where to buy a LV bag?
- 11 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 12 Please help with itinerary for 18 days in Italy.
- 13 Santorini accomodations and more for a couple and baby
- 14 Suggested day bag for use in Italy
- 15 Help with a small island in Greece
- 16 things in Rhonda
- 17 Italy-Croatia-Istanbul
- 18 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 19 A full week in The Netherlands
- 20 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 21 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 22 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 23 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 24 10 days switzerland trip itenary..
- 25 Amalfi Coast vs Greece