Our DD (15!) thought my suggestion for a driving tour of Germany's Fairy Tale Road for the school Fall Break in October sounded fun, so the planning has begun. We're starting from Vienna via personal vehicle, and our first overnight is near the Steiff Museum past Augsburg, because who doesn't love teddy bears? From there we have another overnight in Mainz before actually beginning along the route.
We would like to base in or near both Kassel and Hameln for day trips, and are seeking a recommended half-timbered guesthouse stay; ideally, somewhere with a little space for everyone, as DDog will also be traveling with us. Lodging in each of the cities would be nice, but is not a requirement. Self-catering is fine, as well. Our budget is flexible. The objective is more to enjoy scenery, historic sights, and to eat and drink well; the "fairy tale" component is just our excuse to hit the road. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Leaving the Fairy Tale Route on our way home, the plan is to drive via Dresden toward Prague and then back to Vienna. Suggestions for a lovely overnight somewhere along the route to Prague would also be appreciated. In Prague I have already secured preferred lodging for our final overnight before returning to Vienna.
In advance, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 2 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 3 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 4 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 5 20 year anniversary trip to Scotland
- 6 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 7 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 8 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 9 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 10 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 11 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 12 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 13 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 14 Oyster card?
- 15 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 16 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 17 London Theater
- 18 multi city flights to europe
- 19 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 20 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 21 Switzerland in September
- 22 Milan and Lake Como
- 23 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 24 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 25 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?