Our DD (15!) thought my suggestion for a driving tour of Germany's Fairy Tale Road for the school Fall Break in October sounded fun, so the planning has begun. We're starting from Vienna via personal vehicle, and our first overnight is near the Steiff Museum past Augsburg, because who doesn't love teddy bears? From there we have another overnight in Mainz before actually beginning along the route.
We would like to base in or near both Kassel and Hameln for day trips, and are seeking a recommended half-timbered guesthouse stay; ideally, somewhere with a little space for everyone, as DDog will also be traveling with us. Lodging in each of the cities would be nice, but is not a requirement. Self-catering is fine, as well. Our budget is flexible. The objective is more to enjoy scenery, historic sights, and to eat and drink well; the "fairy tale" component is just our excuse to hit the road. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Leaving the Fairy Tale Route on our way home, the plan is to drive via Dresden toward Prague and then back to Vienna. Suggestions for a lovely overnight somewhere along the route to Prague would also be appreciated. In Prague I have already secured preferred lodging for our final overnight before returning to Vienna.
In advance, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 2 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 3 Portugal: 70th birthday trip
- 4 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 5 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 6 Another theft warning: coastal trains, between Genoa & Tuscany
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 9 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 10 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 11 Northern Ireland ideas
- 12 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 13 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 14 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 15 Long weekend in Albania
- 16 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 17 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 18 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 19 scotland itinerary
- 20 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 21 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 22 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 23 Hotel in Florence
- 24 Travel between Civitavecchia and Rome
- 25 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany