Our DD (15!) thought my suggestion for a driving tour of Germany's Fairy Tale Road for the school Fall Break in October sounded fun, so the planning has begun. We're starting from Vienna via personal vehicle, and our first overnight is near the Steiff Museum past Augsburg, because who doesn't love teddy bears? From there we have another overnight in Mainz before actually beginning along the route.
We would like to base in or near both Kassel and Hameln for day trips, and are seeking a recommended half-timbered guesthouse stay; ideally, somewhere with a little space for everyone, as DDog will also be traveling with us. Lodging in each of the cities would be nice, but is not a requirement. Self-catering is fine, as well. Our budget is flexible. The objective is more to enjoy scenery, historic sights, and to eat and drink well; the "fairy tale" component is just our excuse to hit the road. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Leaving the Fairy Tale Route on our way home, the plan is to drive via Dresden toward Prague and then back to Vienna. Suggestions for a lovely overnight somewhere along the route to Prague would also be appreciated. In Prague I have already secured preferred lodging for our final overnight before returning to Vienna.
In advance, thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Revised itinerary for italy
- 2 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 3 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 6 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 7 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 8 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 9 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 10 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 11 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 12 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 13 Juangfrau / mt
- 14 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 15 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 16 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 17 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 18 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 19 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 22 Questions about Polish sights
- 23 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 24 If you had to choose one......
- 25 UK in July -- early planning stages