I'm excited to be back on the boards to plan our next biennial journey, this time to Belgium and the Netherlands. We were happy to learn that we can spend a few days in Iceland - probably on our return trip to the States. I'm thinking that three nights in Reykjavik might be perfect...with one full day to do the Golden Circle and another to enjoy the city itself.
One of the options we've heard mentioned is to make a stop at the Blue Lagoon on the way to or from the airport. We question what we'd do with our luggage while we were there. Is this doable for us?
And more generally speaking, since we'll be at the end of a couple of weeks of travel, can we make these few days a relaxing, enjoyable experience without too much stress, if we've planned ahead? Is my vision of taking a hotel shuttle or another type of bus from Keyflavik into Reykjavik, either renting a car for a day or taking a tour on the Golden Circle (though we aren't typically tour people), enjoying Reyjkavik for a day, then getting back to the airport via the Blue Lagoon - reasonable?
I'd also love suggestions for a place to stay. We are typically B and B or small private hotel people - reasonably priced yet comfortable - and have also enjoyed staying in an apartment, though I wonder if we'd be able to find an apartment for only a 3-night stay.
Sorry for the disorganized post, but I had mentioned potentially renting a car for a day to do the Golden Circle. With the short length of our visit, are we better off using a tour company - and if so, do you have a recommendation for one in particular?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Extended Iceland layover - we need answers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 2 Ring of Kerry: worth doing "whole loop"?
- 3 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 4 history museums or locations
- 5 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 6 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona
- 7 Granada
- 8 caroline_venezia
- 9 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 10 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 11 5 Observations About Paris
- 12 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 13 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 14 Lake Como transportation questions
- 15 Cylades Island Hopping
- 16 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 17 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 18 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 19 One night stopover in Dolomites, where?
- 20 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 21 Greek Seas- Sailing on the Mediterranean
- 22 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 23 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 24 Good times in Munich, the city
- 25 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!