Some visitors to Paris and any Paris resident is familiar with the canal system in eastern Paris, starting along the Seine as the Bassin de l'Arsenal and continuing north to the Canal Saint-Martin, Bassin de la Villette and then forking at the intersection of the Canal Saint-Denis and the Canal de l'Ourcq. There are some lovely parts along the Canal de l'Ourcq with biking/walking trails along its banks which continue out into the countryside as the canal leaves Paris. A visit here here is popular with visitors and locals alike. Since people are familiar with the part of the canal within Paris then perhaps you'd be interested in visiting it's starting point some 70km to 80km northeast of Paris near the charming village of La Ferté-Milon, which makes a nice day trip in its own right. I took my bike out to pedal along a 20km stretch of the canal and finished up with a visit of La Ferté-Milon. The report has lots of photos of the sights along the way and some brief historical commentary. If interested you can have a look at my report: http://tinyurl.com/kb2mbnb
Exploring The Canal de l'Ourcq, A Day Trip in Autumn Foliage
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 2 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 3 Madrid and London
- 4 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 5 Three days in Spain
- 6 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 7 1 week in Croatia
- 8 german rail ticket question
- 9 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 10 Trip to Iceland
- 11 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel
- 12 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 13 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 14 Has anyone visited Tinos?
- 15 Picasso Museum-Paris
- 16 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 17 Fjords, How To?
- 18 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 19 What to wear
- 20 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 21 London neighborhood suggestions
- 22 Fashion for larger man?
- 23 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 24 Eating in France-two new books
- 25 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel