Some visitors to Paris and any Paris resident is familiar with the canal system in eastern Paris, starting along the Seine as the Bassin de l'Arsenal and continuing north to the Canal Saint-Martin, Bassin de la Villette and then forking at the intersection of the Canal Saint-Denis and the Canal de l'Ourcq. There are some lovely parts along the Canal de l'Ourcq with biking/walking trails along its banks which continue out into the countryside as the canal leaves Paris. A visit here here is popular with visitors and locals alike. Since people are familiar with the part of the canal within Paris then perhaps you'd be interested in visiting it's starting point some 70km to 80km northeast of Paris near the charming village of La Ferté-Milon, which makes a nice day trip in its own right. I took my bike out to pedal along a 20km stretch of the canal and finished up with a visit of La Ferté-Milon. The report has lots of photos of the sights along the way and some brief historical commentary. If interested you can have a look at my report: http://tinyurl.com/kb2mbnb
Exploring The Canal de l'Ourcq, A Day Trip in Autumn Foliage
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train from Rome Airport FCO to Florence
- 2 TR- A jaunt to Paris March 15
- 3 Traveling to Greece & Italy with FOOD allergy (tree nuts)
- 4 Paris Apartment for 7 - deciding between 2 choices
- 5 Best of Southern France and Spain
- 6 Places for Solo Traveling Near Paris
- 7 Spain pre cruise and post cruise stay
- 8 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 9 Top 5 choices from London
- 10 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 11 Transportation in Paris
- 12 Do American College Student IDs work for free museum entrance
- 13 Greek Island honeymoon
- 14 2 Days in Brussels
- 15 Santorini (Greece) : Ferries pros and cons
- 16 Arc de Triomphe Elevator
- 17 Europcar (via Kemwel) - rent GPS at pickup?
- 18 Flamenco show- madrid or seville?
- 19 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 20 I'm Croatian, ask me anything!
- 21 Train from Milano Malpensa DIRECTLY to Bologna Centrale?
- 22 14 Day Swiss Itinerary Sep-2015
- 23 Paris and Rouen 2015
- 24 Plan for the Drive from York to Edinburgh
- 25 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...