Some visitors to Paris and any Paris resident is familiar with the canal system in eastern Paris, starting along the Seine as the Bassin de l'Arsenal and continuing north to the Canal Saint-Martin, Bassin de la Villette and then forking at the intersection of the Canal Saint-Denis and the Canal de l'Ourcq. There are some lovely parts along the Canal de l'Ourcq with biking/walking trails along its banks which continue out into the countryside as the canal leaves Paris. A visit here here is popular with visitors and locals alike. Since people are familiar with the part of the canal within Paris then perhaps you'd be interested in visiting it's starting point some 70km to 80km northeast of Paris near the charming village of La Ferté-Milon, which makes a nice day trip in its own right. I took my bike out to pedal along a 20km stretch of the canal and finished up with a visit of La Ferté-Milon. The report has lots of photos of the sights along the way and some brief historical commentary. If interested you can have a look at my report: http://tinyurl.com/kb2mbnb
Exploring The Canal de l'Ourcq, A Day Trip in Autumn Foliage
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dolomites in the summer - watch this
- 2 Sorry! Another Venice Hotel Location
- 3 What to buy in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest that we can't get in the US?
- 4 Driving from Rome Airport to Montepulciano -- Toll Question
- 5 Need advice on itinerary for Germany
- 6 Do trains run past midnight???
- 7 great restaurant choice for normandy
- 8 Euronight Train from Munich to Budapest - doubts
- 9 Piedmont - Scenic Drive
- 10 Can you help me make calls in Italy?
- 11 Ronda or Vejer de la Frontera?
- 12 Venice - boats on canals
- 13 Flat in London -- South Lambeth or Paddington?
- 14 Barcelona for single female
- 15 Cambridge to Manchester, UK
- 16 A Trip Report in Pictures - Ireland, E to W, S to N
- 17 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 18 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 19 Follow-up to my last question (U.S. citizen visiting Sweden next year)
- 20 North Italy - need itinerary help please!
- 21 Hotel Reccommendations: France, Germany, Italy
- 22 Best luggage for a 7 week trip
- 23 Help for San Sebastian
- 24 Newgrange to Galway
- 25 Has anyone used Waytostay.com for Paris rentals?