Nope not the TGV whose 186 mph top pace seems like a snail to Germany's ICE which tops out at a few km/hr faster on the new Koln-Frankfurt high-speed line. But both of these tortoise-like 'bullet' trains will be eclipsed sometime in the future by Spain's new AVE-like train between Madrid and Barcelona - where though high-speed tracks are done two major problems prevent top speed running at about 200 mph (regular service with passengers - TGV France still holds speed record i think at 521/km an hour on tests near Chartres, France without passengers) - first Spanish problem is that soil subsiding around the new tracks has prevented true high-speed running and these trains use a Global Positioning System rather than the antique network of red and green lights to control train spacing and the GPS system just isn't working. But soon Spain, where it was not long ago said "the pain in Spain is mainly on the train" will have Europe's fastest train! No siesta here.
Europe's Fastest Train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 2 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 3 Base in Puglia: Ostuni or Locorotondo
- 4 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 5 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 6 Paris apartment choices?
- 7 Norway and maybe Denmark
- 8 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 9 Car travel within Regensburg during the Christmas season
- 10 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 11 Hey Fodor's
- 12 Stockholm - airport to city during a layover?
- 13 What to do on drive from Garmisch to Munich for a full day
- 14 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 15 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 16 Madrid: Must Try Local Food & Drink
- 17 Romania driving itinerary help needed
- 18 Montmartre or St.Denis
- 19 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 20 Olive Oil
- 21 Question about Madrid to Toledo
- 22 Please help with our Portugal itinerary.
- 23 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 24 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 25 Venice cruise terminal to San Marcos, and San Marcos to airport?