Nope not the TGV whose 186 mph top pace seems like a snail to Germany's ICE which tops out at a few km/hr faster on the new Koln-Frankfurt high-speed line. But both of these tortoise-like 'bullet' trains will be eclipsed sometime in the future by Spain's new AVE-like train between Madrid and Barcelona - where though high-speed tracks are done two major problems prevent top speed running at about 200 mph (regular service with passengers - TGV France still holds speed record i think at 521/km an hour on tests near Chartres, France without passengers) - first Spanish problem is that soil subsiding around the new tracks has prevented true high-speed running and these trains use a Global Positioning System rather than the antique network of red and green lights to control train spacing and the GPS system just isn't working. But soon Spain, where it was not long ago said "the pain in Spain is mainly on the train" will have Europe's fastest train! No siesta here.
Europe's Fastest Train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Toulouse and beyond -
- 2 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 3 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 4 Reims for a day
- 5 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 6 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 7 Munich with a car?
- 8 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 9 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 10 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 11 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 12 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 13 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 14 poland to switzerland
- 15 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 16 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 17 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 18 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 19 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 20 Day trip on the Rhine
- 21 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 22 One week in Venice - trips
- 23 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 24 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 25 Reservation needed in Germany?