Nope not the TGV whose 186 mph top pace seems like a snail to Germany's ICE which tops out at a few km/hr faster on the new Koln-Frankfurt high-speed line. But both of these tortoise-like 'bullet' trains will be eclipsed sometime in the future by Spain's new AVE-like train between Madrid and Barcelona - where though high-speed tracks are done two major problems prevent top speed running at about 200 mph (regular service with passengers - TGV France still holds speed record i think at 521/km an hour on tests near Chartres, France without passengers) - first Spanish problem is that soil subsiding around the new tracks has prevented true high-speed running and these trains use a Global Positioning System rather than the antique network of red and green lights to control train spacing and the GPS system just isn't working. But soon Spain, where it was not long ago said "the pain in Spain is mainly on the train" will have Europe's fastest train! No siesta here.
Europe's Fastest Train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 2 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 3 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 4 Best cheap airport hotel/hostel in Madrid?
- 5 Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza - 1 week. Seeking lodging, itinerary suggestions.
- 6 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 7 Riga 2014
- 8 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 9 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 10 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 11 How Do I call the US from Italy?
- 12 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 13 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 14 Back home problems with sim card
- 15 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 16 Budapest
- 17 Bikerscott & Jamikins in Portugal 2010/2011
- 18 Budapest--baggage storage
- 19 Which hostel in Cinque Terre?
- 20 sim card for Prague, Budapest, and Vienna
- 21 Taxi in Rome from airport to city
- 22 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 23 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 24 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?
- 25 How do you find French food?