Nope not the TGV whose 186 mph top pace seems like a snail to Germany's ICE which tops out at a few km/hr faster on the new Koln-Frankfurt high-speed line. But both of these tortoise-like 'bullet' trains will be eclipsed sometime in the future by Spain's new AVE-like train between Madrid and Barcelona - where though high-speed tracks are done two major problems prevent top speed running at about 200 mph (regular service with passengers - TGV France still holds speed record i think at 521/km an hour on tests near Chartres, France without passengers) - first Spanish problem is that soil subsiding around the new tracks has prevented true high-speed running and these trains use a Global Positioning System rather than the antique network of red and green lights to control train spacing and the GPS system just isn't working. But soon Spain, where it was not long ago said "the pain in Spain is mainly on the train" will have Europe's fastest train! No siesta here.
Europe's Fastest Train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 2 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 3 Air pollution in Paris
- 4 France, Italy and Greec
- 5 gites de france or agritourism
- 6 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 7 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 8 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 9 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 10 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 11 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 12 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 13 Trains in Italy
- 14 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 15 Nice or Marseille??
- 16 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 17 Dresden or Leipzig
- 18 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 19 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 20 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 21 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 22 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 23 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 24 ACP Rail -- any info?
- 25 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report