Just as a warning, the actual question(s) starts 1/3 of the way in.
I am going to be a sophomore in college next year (double major in English and Anthropology) and have the lucky opportunity to study abroad in England for the entirety of my spring semester. I will probably travel within the United Kingdom (yes - England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) as well as Ireland during the semester. I am going to be near Norwich. Any advice on what to do or how I might plan this? I believe I have a two to three week break in the spring as well as time on the weekends to mini-trip. However, I definitely want to experience the city I will be living in, so most weekends will be spent nearby the university.
The main question of this post starts here, now that you've got a bit of background information. My mother will be flying in to Europe (probably an airport in London) and will spending most of the month of June with me while we travel to a few countries in mainland Europe. I am hoping to get at least six weeks worth of traveling outside of the UK but my mother will only be there for around three weeks due to work restraints. I wanted advice on what countries and cities I should check out and how long I should stay in each city/town.
My mother will most likely want to see the entire UK and Ireland as well as Germany, Italy and France. I'd like to see many more countries but I know I'm limited with time. Do you think I should stick to this as a loose itinerary as I start to build it or do you think I could add a country? Should I only visit one main city per country?
Sorry that this is so long and quite vague. I would really like to get some advice from experienced travelers. This will be my first time out of the US.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days itinerary for France
- 2 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 3 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 4 Going to Russia
- 5 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 6 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 7 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 8 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 9 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 10 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 11 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 12 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 13 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 14 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 15 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 16 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 17 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 18 France or Italy town recommendations needed for 3 week stay
- 19 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 20 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 21 Germany/Austria...with a toddler
- 22 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 23 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 24 Suggestions for summer 38 night itinerary with kids and a mom in tow?
- 25 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia