I know you get a million of these, but I would really appreciate some assistance.
We need assistance mostly with deciding what to do and how to get there/ between destinations.
My partner and I are from Australia, and we have a chance for a european trip.
We DON'T have a choice of dates, we are going from the 28th december till the 12th of Jan, non-negoatiable.
We haven't booked ANYTHING yet, as we are still trying to decide what to do and how to do it.
We really want to see a lot of Europe in this time, as neither of us have been before, and aren't sure when we will be able to make it back.
We don't have a budget, but like good value for money, don't like pointless spending but do like nice things.
We will probably just use tripadvisor + agoda to book accommodation once our transport plans are more concrete.
28-29 Dec - London. nothing in particular we want to see but will just get a hotel somewhere near the tube and wander around seeing stuff. Train or plane to Paris, it's similar cost.
30Dec - 1 Jan - Paris. Want to see the usual stuff, just absorb the ambience of the city, + new years eve here. Thinking of the overnight train to munich on the 1st.
2 - 3 Jan - Munich. Same again, just absorb the city and see sights.
4 - 7 Jan - Grundelwald in Switzerland. Train to top of mountains, + winter atmosphere + snowboarding.
8 jan - - Venice. overnight stop only. GF insists.
9 - 12 Jan - Rome
So our issues are : we wanted to hire a car in Munich and take it down to Rome, but the fees are exorbitant (~700euro) however between 2 of us this isn't TOO bad.
But it got us looking at alternative means of transport, namely trains. We can get from Munich to switzerland and then from switzerland to milan by train and hire a car there, but it is a fair bit of messing around with timings, schedules, luggage etc. And of course we have to pay for 2 tickets.
Looking for opinions about this itinerary, we want to experience a proper northern winter and we will both enjoy being rugged up etc I've spent a winter in canada so I know what it's like.
I know it's a LOT to see in such a short time, but it's all we have unfortunately. We looked at all the usual tours etc, including top deck, back roads tours and a bunch of other ones, but they either are expensive for what they are, involve a lot of time on a bus, or don't run over the new years period.
Any advice would be welcome, especially about the transport.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.supplements4us.com/bio-rocket-blast/
- 2 Two days around Oban - help with itinerary
- 3 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 4 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 5 Avoid Europcar!
- 6 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 7 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 8 Scotland - We're Here!
- 9 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 10 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 11 Cinque Terre trip/trains
- 12 European Vacation 2017
- 13 3 weeks with Kids - Austria Itinerary help
- 14 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 15 Need help in completing trip details
- 16 Odd Question - freezer and microwave
- 17 Which area to stay in London
- 18 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 19 Madrid food advice needed
- 20 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 21 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 22 Split to Hvar
- 23 Paris for children
- 24 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 25 Sim card/Amsterdam
Europe, new years, 2 weeks. Itinerary and transport help please.