I know you get a million of these, but I would really appreciate some assistance.
We need assistance mostly with deciding what to do and how to get there/ between destinations.
My partner and I are from Australia, and we have a chance for a european trip.
We DON'T have a choice of dates, we are going from the 28th december till the 12th of Jan, non-negoatiable.
We haven't booked ANYTHING yet, as we are still trying to decide what to do and how to do it.
We really want to see a lot of Europe in this time, as neither of us have been before, and aren't sure when we will be able to make it back.
We don't have a budget, but like good value for money, don't like pointless spending but do like nice things.
We will probably just use tripadvisor + agoda to book accommodation once our transport plans are more concrete.
28-29 Dec - London. nothing in particular we want to see but will just get a hotel somewhere near the tube and wander around seeing stuff. Train or plane to Paris, it's similar cost.
30Dec - 1 Jan - Paris. Want to see the usual stuff, just absorb the ambience of the city, + new years eve here. Thinking of the overnight train to munich on the 1st.
2 - 3 Jan - Munich. Same again, just absorb the city and see sights.
4 - 7 Jan - Grundelwald in Switzerland. Train to top of mountains, + winter atmosphere + snowboarding.
8 jan - - Venice. overnight stop only. GF insists.
9 - 12 Jan - Rome
So our issues are : we wanted to hire a car in Munich and take it down to Rome, but the fees are exorbitant (~700euro) however between 2 of us this isn't TOO bad.
But it got us looking at alternative means of transport, namely trains. We can get from Munich to switzerland and then from switzerland to milan by train and hire a car there, but it is a fair bit of messing around with timings, schedules, luggage etc. And of course we have to pay for 2 tickets.
Looking for opinions about this itinerary, we want to experience a proper northern winter and we will both enjoy being rugged up etc I've spent a winter in canada so I know what it's like.
I know it's a LOT to see in such a short time, but it's all we have unfortunately. We looked at all the usual tours etc, including top deck, back roads tours and a bunch of other ones, but they either are expensive for what they are, involve a lot of time on a bus, or don't run over the new years period.
Any advice would be welcome, especially about the transport.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dublin Leap Card
- 2 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 3 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 4 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 5 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence
- 6 To Paris Beauvais? Thursday the 27th am?
- 7 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 8 Lisbon or Cascais in July
- 9 Suggestions on exploring Dublin only for 4 days
- 10 Garda Land
- 11 Please help me eat well in Greece!
- 12 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 13 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 14 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 15 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 16 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 17 Cordoba Overnight?
- 18 Thalys ticket, please advice.
- 19 mountain views near London
- 20 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 21 UK Itinerary Help Please
- 22 2 weeks Europe trip
- 23 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 24 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 25 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
Europe, new years, 2 weeks. Itinerary and transport help please.