I know you get a million of these, but I would really appreciate some assistance.
We need assistance mostly with deciding what to do and how to get there/ between destinations.
My partner and I are from Australia, and we have a chance for a european trip.
We DON'T have a choice of dates, we are going from the 28th december till the 12th of Jan, non-negoatiable.
We haven't booked ANYTHING yet, as we are still trying to decide what to do and how to do it.
We really want to see a lot of Europe in this time, as neither of us have been before, and aren't sure when we will be able to make it back.
We don't have a budget, but like good value for money, don't like pointless spending but do like nice things.
We will probably just use tripadvisor + agoda to book accommodation once our transport plans are more concrete.
28-29 Dec - London. nothing in particular we want to see but will just get a hotel somewhere near the tube and wander around seeing stuff. Train or plane to Paris, it's similar cost.
30Dec - 1 Jan - Paris. Want to see the usual stuff, just absorb the ambience of the city, + new years eve here. Thinking of the overnight train to munich on the 1st.
2 - 3 Jan - Munich. Same again, just absorb the city and see sights.
4 - 7 Jan - Grundelwald in Switzerland. Train to top of mountains, + winter atmosphere + snowboarding.
8 jan - - Venice. overnight stop only. GF insists.
9 - 12 Jan - Rome
So our issues are : we wanted to hire a car in Munich and take it down to Rome, but the fees are exorbitant (~700euro) however between 2 of us this isn't TOO bad.
But it got us looking at alternative means of transport, namely trains. We can get from Munich to switzerland and then from switzerland to milan by train and hire a car there, but it is a fair bit of messing around with timings, schedules, luggage etc. And of course we have to pay for 2 tickets.
Looking for opinions about this itinerary, we want to experience a proper northern winter and we will both enjoy being rugged up etc I've spent a winter in canada so I know what it's like.
I know it's a LOT to see in such a short time, but it's all we have unfortunately. We looked at all the usual tours etc, including top deck, back roads tours and a bunch of other ones, but they either are expensive for what they are, involve a lot of time on a bus, or don't run over the new years period.
Any advice would be welcome, especially about the transport.
Europe, new years, 2 weeks. Itinerary and transport help please.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GENEVE,MONTREUX,INTERLAKEN and LUZERN or Weggis?
- 2 Berlin to Salzburg in 2 weeks
- 3 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 4 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 5 Madrid and London
- 6 What to wear
- 7 Prague flea markets
- 8 Tipping in Greece
- 9 Irish wedding - correct attire advice please?
- 10 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 11 Tours for Ephesus and Cappadoccia
- 12 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 13 Timing a river cruise
- 14 Top flamenco in Barcelona this fall - every night!
- 15 Painting Classes at Giverny or surrounds in English please!
- 16 Norway Haugesund and Bergen photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 17 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 18 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 19 flea markets in France
- 20 I need a haircut
- 21 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 22 Feedback regarding Jay Way Travel
- 23 Ideas for a Mother-Daughter UK Trip
- 24 Switzerland itinerary help - 1 week Lauterbrunnen, 1 week ??
- 25 Madrid apartments