Due to an unforeseen change in jobs and living situation, I now have some time to burn and plan to travel Europe for the month of Novemeber. A bit non-ideal in terms of weather, but I've been saving credit card points for a while and PROMISED myself that the next time-abundant portion of my life (while young) I'm just going to bite the bullet and go. So I'm going. Apologies for any redundancies or newbness but I have some questions and need some help. I'm obviously cognoscente of the weather and understand some northern spots and even others will be cooler, which I'm fine with and will pack accordingly.
So here are my givens: 1 Month, $3K-$4K budget (sans flight), have about $1200 worth of flyer miles money on my chase sapphire preferred. Traveling alone. Very flexible and nimble, and right in the middle between shoe string and "balling out", obviously will lean on being frugal. IE not a ton of drinking, mostly museums and hostiles, occasional dinner or snack kind of thing. Will buy a one month eurorail pass.
Given that, here are my questions:
- Can credit card points be redeemed for INTL flights?
- There's a super dirt cheap ($200) WOW flight from SF to Amsterdam, where I plan to start.... anybody go with WOW before? From reviews it looks like as long as you do your homework, stay diligent, it's totally feasible.
- Keep in mind here I'll be flying to Ireland to END the trip for 3-4 days to meet with family... so with that in mind 80-85% of the balance will be continental Europe and then a small stint planned at the tail end in Ireland, so that may affect how I get there either VIA plane from Spain or France.
- Some thoughts on itinerary: Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Barcelona, Sevilla, Lisbon. Paris either in between or at the end. Any cities based on context and weather you would omit or add here? Any to emphasize for length of stay vs others?
- I'd definitely like to hit France (Paris or South of France) so would it make sense to cut across and hit there before heading to Spain, or revert back up after spain?
- Any thoughts on AirBnB vs hostile? Maybe focus on hostiles mostly and AirBnb in a few choice cities where it would be worth it?
- Any general thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much in advance!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 2 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 3 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 4 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 5 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 6 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 7 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 10 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 11 Bruges
- 12 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 13 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 14 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 15 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 16 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 17 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 18 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 19 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 20 Planning A trip
- 21 A week in the Occitanie
- 22 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 23 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 24 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba
- 25 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany