Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 2 Flamenco -Seville 8/18 to 8/24/16
- 3 Trip report (Lisbon, Doura valley, Marvao, Evora, Algarve)
- 4 Planning Advice!
- 5 Adaptors for Belgium
- 6 Germany and Austria trip report
- 7 Schengen Entry Ban ,can travel Romania?
- 8 How many days in the cities of Bordeaux and la Rochelle?
- 9 tablet
- 10 When to go to Norway for a ski trip?
- 11 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 12 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 13 Home base for a month in France?
- 14 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 15 Greece in 15 Days
- 16 Just booked Athens & Santorini
- 17 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 18 Norway holiday locations
- 19 Norway accessories and must have
- 20 Puglia Itinerary - too many choices
- 21 Help with itinerary
- 22 Iphone Charger in a Car in Europe?
- 23 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 24 Prague Beyond the "Usual"
- 25 Auber metro station incident 27.08.16
Hello fellow travelbugs,