Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 2 Sliema, Malta
- 3 River Boat Cruise
- 4 Frantic Ticket Purchase Upends Itinerary ... No Open Jaw -
- 5 Portugal. & Southern Spain
- 6 Sachsenhausen?
- 7 Looking for advice on a Paris-based day trip to Reims
- 8 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 9 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 10 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 11 Road tripping: Isle of Skye to London
- 12 Rome to Portofino -
- 13 Sim Card
- 14 Basic Itinerary for Flight to Denmark
- 15 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 16 3 Days in Paris.. what are the "must sees"?
- 17 12 Days in Italy
- 18 How to get from the Airport (Charles de Gaul) to Marais
- 19 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 20 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 21 student in denmark
- 22 Poland in September
- 23 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 24 Corsica France...Calvi or Ajaccio or?
- 25 Cheap Paris Boutiques
Hello fellow travelbugs,