Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 2 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 3 Les Invalides Night Show
- 4 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 5 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 6 barcelona neighborhood
- 7 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 8 Which Day?
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 10 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 11 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 12 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 15 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 16 Tracking the Weather
- 17 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 18 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 19 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 20 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 21 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 22 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 23 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 24 Shorts in South of France?
- 25 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
Hello fellow travelbugs,