Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 2 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 3 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 4 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 5 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 6 Bodrum to instanbul
- 7 Madrid: Must Try Local Food & Drink
- 8 Rental car return -> Taxi at Barcelona Airport
- 9 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 10 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 11 Can you be fined on the spot for falling off a scooter in Croatia
- 12 Madrid: Atmospheric Old Taverns
- 13 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 14 Italy tours
- 15 venice, the dolomites, and the italian lakes - in 1 week
- 16 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 17 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.
- 18 Globus Tours
- 19 Scotland Votes "No"
- 20 Has anyone used a Tour Guide in Sicily?
- 21 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 22 Splendid Summer Trip in Scotland and Ireland
- 23 Hvar Town or Stari Grad
- 24 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 25 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm