Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Now to Madrid
- 2 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 3 3 days solo in London
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 Chania
- 6 Edinbrugh
- 7 Berlin to ?
- 8 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 9 Hotels in Turin
- 10 Help on ancient history route
- 11 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 12 Studying art in English in venice
- 13 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 14 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 15 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 16 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 17 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 18 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 19 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 20 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 21 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 22 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 23 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 24 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 25 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
Hello fellow travelbugs,