Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
- 1 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 2 rent car / Munich
- 3 Apartments in Rome
- 4 London for Christmas
- 5 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 6 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 7 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 8 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 9 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 10 To Paris and Provence in June
- 11 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 12 7 days in Andalucia
- 13 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 14 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 15 Madrid to Sevilla
- 16 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 17 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 18 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 19 A full week in The Netherlands
- 20 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 21 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 22 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 23 Ireland in a week
- 24 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report