Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 2 What to wear
- 3 german rail ticket question
- 4 Berlin to Salzburg in 2 weeks
- 5 GENEVE,MONTREUX,INTERLAKEN and LUZERN or Weggis?
- 6 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 7 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 8 Madrid and London
- 9 Prague flea markets
- 10 Tipping in Greece
- 11 Irish wedding - correct attire advice please?
- 12 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 13 Tours for Ephesus and Cappadoccia
- 14 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 15 Timing a river cruise
- 16 Top flamenco in Barcelona this fall - every night!
- 17 Painting Classes at Giverny or surrounds in English please!
- 18 Norway Haugesund and Bergen photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 19 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 20 flea markets in France
- 21 I need a haircut
- 22 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 23 Feedback regarding Jay Way Travel
- 24 Ideas for a Mother-Daughter UK Trip
- 25 Switzerland itinerary help - 1 week Lauterbrunnen, 1 week ??