Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netflix and Hulu
- 2 Traveling to Nice, seeking someone to join.
- 3 Milan airport to Duomo area by train?
- 4 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 5 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 6 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 7 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 8 Portugal itinerary without a car - suggestions appreciated!
- 9 French open 2017
- 10 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 11 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 12 how far in advance of flight to get to airport
- 13 Lisbon and Spain-"must see" advance tix?
- 14 Amalfi October 16-25
- 15 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 16 Norway and Copenhagen - 13 days
- 17 Train & Car Rental Logistics from Florence
- 18 Naples
- 19 Advice please: 10 days in South-West England with a toddler
- 20 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 21 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 22 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 23 Rental car return in Nice
- 24 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 25 Alhambra
Hello fellow travelbugs,