Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 14 days in Italy. need some help
- 2 Bologna: Walk via Arcades to San Luca
- 3 Tour Guides or Tour Companies in Prague and Hotels
- 4 How do I divide my time up in Belgium
- 5 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 6 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 7 8 day May Road Trip - Best of France
- 8 Help with Lucerne in April
- 9 San Sebastian or Pamploma?
- 10 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 11 Going to Croatia for 7-9 days in early June
- 12 Iceland trip...need some feedback please!
- 13 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 14 Dublin to Cashel
- 15 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 16 Prague to Dubrovnik Itinerary Suggestions wanted
- 17 From Bordeaux to Toulouse
- 18 Athens and which islands?
- 19 Please, please help us plan our trip to Europe!
- 20 Neuschwanstein to Linderhof by car
- 21 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 22 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 23 Arrive in Paris early am, no check-in/luggage drop until pm. Options?
- 24 driving country-to-country: so many questions
- 25 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?