Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 2 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 3 Greek Pelion....Homebase? Nice Accommodation?
- 4 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 5 What happens to check in bag if I leave country in transit (Germany)
- 6 Bath Hotel - MacDonald Bath Spa or Francis Hotel
- 7 Honeymoon - skiing in Switzerland and Austria
- 8 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 9 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 10 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 11 Possible Italy and Paris Itinerary - any thoughts?
- 12 Liverpool to London
- 13 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 14 Euro Quiz # 65 (Friday)
- 15 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 16 Better to rent a car in Venice or Padua?
- 17 DVD players in France
- 18 2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 19 Ireland with Kids in March - itinerary help
- 20 Train from Sarlat
- 21 Trains
- 22 Help Please with itinerary between Pisa and Milan in Sept/Oct.
- 23 Naples vs Sorrento
- 24 Cinque Terre trails
- 25 Easiest way to get from San Sebastian to Toulouse or Brive in France