Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oviedo, Aviles or Gijon
- 2 Picos de Europa - Need advice please
- 3 Scotland on a farm by horse?
- 4 Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, Paris
- 5 Help with Central/ Eastern Europe
- 6 Germany -- with Reformation emphasis
- 7 Cordoba-Granada itinerary
- 8 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 9 Late night train from Prague
- 10 Matera and Puglia by public transportation: Bus, train, driver
- 11 4 Days in Paris: Sample Itinerary for First Trip There
- 12 Milestone Birthday Trip-Where Would You Go?
- 13 I'm in a funk
- 14 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 15 We will be stranded in Iceland for 17 hours!
- 16 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 17 Mama Mia Italy!
- 18 Lisbon, Porto and Southern Galicia Costal region
- 19 Valencia and Baleric Islands Itinerary suggestions for May travel
- 20 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 21 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 22 Spain Trip Ideas -Critique Welcome
- 23 One week SW England for a group with diverse interests
- 24 Amsterdam vs Prague
- 25 Lauterbrunnen: hiking advisory