Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 2 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 3 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 4 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 5 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 6 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 7 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 8 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 9 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 10 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 11 T Mobile Does it Again
- 12 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 13 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 14 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 15 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 16 Seville Itinerary
- 17 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 18 Dolomites October 14-18
- 19 Italy by car
- 20 Florence 2 weeks
- 21 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 22 Santorini
- 23 One in Paris ... help
- 24 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 25 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
Hello fellow travelbugs,