Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 2 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 3 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 4 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 5 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 6 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 7 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 8 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 9 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 10 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 11 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 12 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 13 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 14 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 15 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 16 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 17 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 18 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 19 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 20 Paris, London, 49ers and Fodors GTG
- 21 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 22 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 23 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 24 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 25 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!