Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roma Pass question on Borghese reservation
- 2 Cars in France
- 3 First European Vacation )
- 4 All French taxis now obliged to accept cards
- 5 4 special meals, 2 GTGs, Benedict Cumberbatch and a Tattoo
- 6 London Open House Weekend and Moreton in Marsh
- 7 Awe inspiring on the Amalfi Coast....an Albergo "Clash of the Titans"
- 8 Madrid - how to schedule train from airport
- 9 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 10 Still another Normandy question
- 11 Weekend in Paris in October
- 12 In Barcelona...Montjuic
- 13 Around Geneva?
- 14 Traveling around Lake Geneva
- 15 Rome/Florence
- 16 Paris
- 17 Travel to France & Switzerland with my daughter next summer
- 18 COPENHAGEN or STOCKHOLM for 4-5 days?
- 19 Advice for Siena and Orvieto?
- 20 which dordogne caves AND in which order?
- 21 Italy - Rome, Venice, and Florence
- 22 Where to go
- 23 MADRID AND GRANADA--A Magical Winter Week in Spain
- 24 London: Xmas Break Trip - One Week Itinerary
- 25 London theatre
Hello fellow travelbugs,