Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Santorini (Greece) : Ferries pros and cons
- 2 Barcelona and Road Trip to Southern France
- 3 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 4 best way to get to Italy from Greece
- 5 Choosing a Parmegiano Reggiano Dairy Farm to Visit
- 6 Help with 6 days in Switzerland
- 7 Arctic Circle in December
- 8 Venice, then ?, then Munich
- 9 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 10 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 11 UK passport renewal from O'seas.
- 12 looking for an app
- 13 phone service
- 14 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 15 Biking (Selg-Guided and/or Guided) in Oxford and Bath
- 16 Chip and Pin Card from Capital One
- 17 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 18 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 19 DayTrips from Madrid vs. Overnight
- 20 Paris Apartment for 7 - deciding between 2 choices
- 21 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 22 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 23 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 24 Spain pre cruise and post cruise stay
- 25 Greece for a month with a baby