Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ROME JEWISH GHETTO - directions needed
- 2 Need advice on transportation
- 3 Anyone have a good word to say about Zurich?
- 4 Swallows and Amazons! (or a midweek break in the Lake District)
- 5 2 weeks Northern Italy Itinerary Suggestion
- 6 Northern England /Scotland in 16 days
- 7 reputable apartment rental in Rome and Venice?
- 8 Another Visit to London
- 9 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 10 Pre-booking train travel in Spain
- 11 bbc radio 4 visits Fleetwood near Blackpool
- 12 Train or bus from Annecy to Cully Switzerland
- 13 3 days Venice to Paris
- 14 A Beautiful Visit to Emilia-Romagna
- 15 My Worst Experience During My Holiday In Europe
- 16 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 17 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 18 "Free" walking tours--what to tip guide
- 19 Berlin insurance questions
- 20 Illegal vacation apts. in Paris
- 21 France for Six Weeks
- 22 Where to stay in Barcelona during La Merce?
- 23 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 24 Can you please critique my ring road plan?
- 25 which basque wine TXAKOLINA wineries bodegas to visit from san sebastian?
Hello fellow travelbugs,