Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 한국경마문화 ▣ 홈피:≫zkk47.com≪
- 2 토토 총판 하는일 【 'kakao: dnj2016●텔레그램 : speed2017' 】
- 3 부산경마문화 ▣ 홈피:≫zkk47.com≪
- 4 토토총판 합니다 【 'kakao: dnj2016●텔레그램 : speed2017' 】
- 5 부산경마문화 ▣ 홈피:≫zkk47.com≪
- 6 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 7 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 8 credit and debit cards
- 9 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 10 Almalfi
- 11 hotels in the Eixample district of Barcelona
- 12 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations
- 13 Athens multi site pass
- 14 Ephesus - Tour A or B??
- 15 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 16 Layover of 10 hrs in london
- 17 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 18 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 19 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 20 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 21 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 22 Charming areas to explore in London
- 23 Road trip to Spanish Pyrenees - Suggestions?
- 24 Train up the Jungfrau
- 25 3 months in Switzerland this summer, need suggestions on weekend trips
Hello fellow travelbugs,