Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 2 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 3 A week in Verona - day trip suggestions?
- 4 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 5 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 6 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 7 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 8 help with Italy itinerary
- 9 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 10 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 11 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 12 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 13 Capri in July
- 14 Is there a Limit to time spent at Eiffel Tower
- 15 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 16 Amalfi Help: Logistics and Planning
- 17 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 18 Scotland and London 21 days
- 19 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 20 Helps!! 8days Switzerland ittinerary...
- 21 madrid-san sebastian-barcelona
- 22 Venice
- 23 A new species of Homo Sapien??
- 24 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 25 3 Weeks in Ireland - Itinerary help needed
Hello fellow travelbugs,