Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestions for an arrival day itinerary in Venice- with jetlagged kids
- 2 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 3 Train travel in Europe
- 4 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 5 Q re Capital One Venture Rewards Card
- 6 Alone in Paris
- 7 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 8 Malaga and the lost wallet
- 9 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 10 renting a car in Spain and driving to Portugal
- 11 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 12 seeking advice for Turkey trip in November
- 13 In Pursuit of Vikings, Fjords and Cooler Weather, thursdaysd Goes North
- 14 15 hour layover in London with children, should we leave the airport?
- 15 Athens or Istanbul in Nov'15 Solo female traveller
- 16 Suggested form of transportation between destinations
- 17 Traveling between Madrid and Barcelona
- 18 9-10 days in portugal - may 2016
- 19 Suggested transportation between destinations
- 20 Would love input on France Itinerary: Paris, Avignon & Annecy with kids
- 21 Clown wants to do some street performing in Europe
- 22 first time to Europe: London Paris & ?
- 23 Iceland Sept itinerary
- 24 Help with itineray to Madrid-Seville-Granada
- 25 Madrid Hotel - Help me choose between these 2!
Hello fellow travelbugs,