Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 Prague itinerary advice
- 4 Fodors monitors - "view profile" not available on Foxfire
- 5 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 6 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 7 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 8 Santorini lodging
- 9 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 10 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 11 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 12 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 13 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 14 info Faro & Algarve
- 15 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 16 Nafplio to Hydra
- 17 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 18 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 19 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 20 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 21 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 22 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 23 May get together in Paris
- 24 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 25 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
Hello fellow travelbugs,