Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France, Italy and Greec
- 2 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 3 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 4 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 5 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 6 Air pollution in Paris
- 7 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 8 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 9 Avignon to Bordeaux by Train
- 10 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 11 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 12 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 13 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 14 Naxos in May
- 15 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 16 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 17 Belfast to Scotland help
- 18 20 days in Germany
- 19 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 20 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 21 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 22 Portugal Alentejo's cante
- 23 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 24 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 25 help regarding removal firm in london