Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 2 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 3 Estonia Amber
- 4 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 5 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 6 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 7 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 8 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 9 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 10 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 11 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 12 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 13 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 14 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 15 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 16 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 17 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 18 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 19 9 days in turkey
- 20 Burg Eltz
- 21 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 22 Germany-berlin marathon
- 23 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 24 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 25 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt