Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1 week Tuscany in November
- 2 The honest Italian tale of the laughs, the panics and the awe
- 3 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 4 Where to stay one night during our drive from Amboise to Avignon?
- 5 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 6 Sunny September Trip Report
- 7 venice, the dolomites, and the italian lakes - in 1 week
- 8 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 9 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 10 Gift for French business associate
- 11 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 12 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 13 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 14 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 15 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 16 Scotland Votes "No"
- 17 Gtg San Antonio
- 18 Splendid Summer Trip in Scotland and Ireland
- 19 Early October 2014 Trip to Mosel Valley and Rhineland
- 20 help- newbies to international travel- Italy logistics
- 21 Help with logistics of 2 days on the Rhine
- 22 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 23 Help please! Value lodging in Italy
- 24 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 25 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore