Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for advice on a Paris-based day trip to Reims
- 2 church / cathedral (organ/classic music) concerts in Granada/Seville ?
- 3 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 4 Kids Travel Guides for Reading up!
- 5 Just Iceland or Iceland and Europe?
- 6 house exchange
- 7 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 8 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 9 Your Thoughts on the Black Forest, please --
- 10 What to see in Dresden...
- 11 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 12 suggestions for an Iceland self-drive touring June 2011?
- 13 Flight to London - Discount Airlines?
- 14 Day River trips from Porto
- 15 Late August Trip to Northern Italy
- 16 Crewed yacht charter: Mediterranean
- 17 Public Transport information App/Website
- 18 Honeymoon - Spain & Greece
- 19 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 20 First Time Europe Trip
- 21 Any suggestions yacht charter services?
- 22 Luxury Apartment Rentals in Rome
- 23 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 24 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 25 Lon term Car Hire Guide for Italy
Hello fellow travelbugs,