Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Travel in March
- 2 http://boosthightestosterones.com/nitrobuild-plus/
- 3 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 4 Europe itinerary
- 5 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 6 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 7 Iceland in 4 days?
- 8 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 9 Southern Italy
- 10 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 11 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 12 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 13 Favorite restaurants in Amsterdam
- 14 Madrid city centre?
- 15 Barcelona extension
- 16 Ireland driving itinerary
- 17 Slovania & Croatia
- 18 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 19 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 20 Barcelona Car rental return
- 21 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 22 Manchester on derby weekend
- 23 BIKE AND BARGE
- 24 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 25 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
Hello fellow travelbugs,