Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre
- 2 Barcelona sites: attire
- 3 Barcelona Itinerary
- 4 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 5 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 6 Travelling from Marseille Airport into the city
- 7 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 8 Referendum in Greece
- 9 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 10 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 11 Paris Visite pass
- 12 Girona to Torla-where to stay along the way
- 13 Driving Itinerary in Austria Advice Please
- 14 Two-week itinerary, Barcelona + Madrid + Andalucia
- 15 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 16 Lisbon
- 17 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 18 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 19 short trip klon to koblenz
- 20 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 21 Switzeraland Iternary
- 22 barcelona
- 23 Amsterdam & Paris in peak season
- 24 Train Travel in Germany
- 25 Castle Hunters on HGTV - anyone watch?
Hello fellow travelbugs,