Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day Trip from London
- 2 Itinerary Help for Wheelchair Traveler
- 3 Rental car in Italy
- 4 Best things to eat, see, do in Italy
- 5 Trip Report: A Provence Sandwich
- 6 Lake Constance - Where to stay?
- 7 A road trip to Florence
- 8 London, Berchtgaden and??
- 9 Doing laundry in Iceland?
- 10 Honoring my Father, Belgium, Amsterdam, London and TWO GTGs
- 11 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 12 Castles in Southern Wales
- 13 Barcelona Sagrada Familia visit in evening
- 14 A month in Normandy (Rouen): calling Normandy afficionados
- 15 Itinerary help for family with young kids
- 16 Worried my mother won't be able to fly!
- 17 Scottish Highlands For Two Days
- 18 Switzerland and Northern Italy, 3 weeks
- 19 Lack of diversity? Venice/Florence/Rome
- 20 Changes in security at Schiphol
- 21 Finalizing Itinerary
- 22 Munich- Prague-Berlin Itinerary Help
- 23 Itinerary help
- 24 Provence Restaurant Suggestions
- 25 A day in Killarney
Hello fellow travelbugs,