Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 3 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 4 Long weekend in Albania
- 5 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 6 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 7 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 8 car rental
- 9 Munich and....???
- 10 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 11 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 12 Portugal: 70th birthday trip
- 13 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 14 Another theft warning: coastal trains, between Genoa & Tuscany
- 15 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 16 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 17 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 18 Northern Ireland ideas
- 19 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 20 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 21 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 22 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 23 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 24 scotland itinerary
- 25 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
Hello fellow travelbugs,