Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How big backpack do I need?
- 2 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 Holiday Itinerary
- 5 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 6 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 7 How much do i need?
- 8 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 9 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 10 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 11 Road trip - Italian to French Riveria
- 12 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 13 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 14 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 15 AVE train tickets questions.
- 16 Greece: Final thoughts and pictures (I hope)
- 17 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 18 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 19 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 20 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 21 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 22 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 23 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 24 Path of the Gods Question
- 25 Loire Valley 12 days
Hello fellow travelbugs,