Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 2 Vegan in Germany?
- 3 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 4 All Set To Go!!
- 5 VISA question
- 6 Treis-Karden 4 days and Trier 2 days?
- 7 French Basque region
- 8 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 9 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 10 Which european city?
- 11 Italy Countryside
- 12 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 13 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 14 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 15 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 16 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 17 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 18 Feedback on Gotland Medieval Festival
- 19 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 20 Another Walks of Italy question. Vatican tours. Have you taken one?
- 21 biking tours in Italy?
- 22 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 23 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 24 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 25 Adventures in Italy with Momma