Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Self-driving in Iceland
- 2 Do Franprix or Monoprix stores offer delivery services?
- 3 B&Bs/hotels near Kinsale?
- 4 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 5 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 6 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 7 Budapest questions round 1
- 8 Iceland - a brief trip report
- 9 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 10 Need help with packing for a trip to Rome, Cinque Terre and Switzerland
- 11 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 12 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 13 Help with recommendations in Croatia
- 14 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 15 If Greece exits
- 16 Itinerary help for Bavaria
- 17 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 18 Traveling solo in the Loire Valley / train or car? best base?
- 19 Rafting Gorge du Verdon
- 20 Railpass VS Point-to-Point
- 21 5 nights near British Museum mid September?
- 22 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report
- 23 Riviera roadtrip
- 24 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 25 Stratford-upon-avon in England
Hello fellow travelbugs,