Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
Hello fellow travelbugs,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 2 quiet hotel in Rome?
- 3 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 4 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 5 quiet hotel
- 6 He said , she said
- 7 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 8 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 9 Venice hotel selection
- 10 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 11 May trip to the islands
- 12 Where to stay in Rome
- 13 7 days in Greece
- 14 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 15 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 16 Augsburg with kids
- 17 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 18 Spontaneous trip to Ireland
- 19 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 20 Three days in Spain
- 21 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 22 Easter week/ Semana Santa in Avila, Toledo, Segovia
- 23 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 24 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 25 Paris in April?