So I'm beginning to plan a trip to Europe for this upcoming September, while it feels "so far away" I know things will creep up rather quickly and that I need to make some decisions soonish. I've been to Europe before but it was with a group and I didn't have to do the itinerary planning myself (also we weren't just there in vacation mode).
My wife's birthday is the 9th of September, and it's the big 30 this year, she's never had a chance to go to Europe and I'd love to surprise her with the opportunity (she's talked about doing it often). Also our anniversary is later in the month (will be back before it as work has me tied up, but celebrate early). So we are both in our late 20s/early 30s we're adventurous but also just love exploring and taking in the culture. I'm not trying to force to much into the schedule so as to give us a chance to soak it in. It's not often we get away from the kids for over a week.
I'm hoping to plan for about 10 days (5th - 15th or so, still looking at flights so still flexible if there is an event, festival, etc. that we should see during that time). The one country my wife has definitely talked about wanting to go is France so I figured on a few days in Paris and I've also read that September is a great time to visit some of France's wine country (we are both wine lovers/drinkers). I'm hoping that the experts on here are able to impart some of their wisdom into planning.
I'm trying to decide also if we should just spend the 10days in France or if we should add another country/city to the itinerary. I'm kind of undecided either way. I don't want to mess up the balance between the "romance" of France and feeling rushed to get somewhere but I also recognize that my wife has never been to Europe.
So much to do and so much to see...thanks for any and all help!
Europe in early September (France for sure)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 2 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 3 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 4 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 5 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 6 Foie gras, redux
- 7 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 8 italy
- 9 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 10 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 11 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 12 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 13 What to wear
- 14 What still confounds you about travel?
- 15 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 16 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 17 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 18 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 19 Pronunciation
- 20 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 21 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 22 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 23 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 24 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 25 Ryanair Cabin Luggage