So I'm beginning to plan a trip to Europe for this upcoming September, while it feels "so far away" I know things will creep up rather quickly and that I need to make some decisions soonish. I've been to Europe before but it was with a group and I didn't have to do the itinerary planning myself (also we weren't just there in vacation mode).
My wife's birthday is the 9th of September, and it's the big 30 this year, she's never had a chance to go to Europe and I'd love to surprise her with the opportunity (she's talked about doing it often). Also our anniversary is later in the month (will be back before it as work has me tied up, but celebrate early). So we are both in our late 20s/early 30s we're adventurous but also just love exploring and taking in the culture. I'm not trying to force to much into the schedule so as to give us a chance to soak it in. It's not often we get away from the kids for over a week.
I'm hoping to plan for about 10 days (5th - 15th or so, still looking at flights so still flexible if there is an event, festival, etc. that we should see during that time). The one country my wife has definitely talked about wanting to go is France so I figured on a few days in Paris and I've also read that September is a great time to visit some of France's wine country (we are both wine lovers/drinkers). I'm hoping that the experts on here are able to impart some of their wisdom into planning.
I'm trying to decide also if we should just spend the 10days in France or if we should add another country/city to the itinerary. I'm kind of undecided either way. I don't want to mess up the balance between the "romance" of France and feeling rushed to get somewhere but I also recognize that my wife has never been to Europe.
So much to do and so much to see...thanks for any and all help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 2 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3 Belgian airports
- 4 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 5 Itinerary Help - 5 weeks Spain and Portugal Cities
- 6 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 7 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 8 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 9 Greece Travel Advice
- 10 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 11 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 12 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 13 European Championship
- 14 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 15 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 16 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 17 Normandy - driving trip
- 18 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 19 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 20 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 21 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 22 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 23 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 24 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 25 sim card