Planning a big trip to Europe from the end of October to the end of December. No work commitments so can extend my itinerary longer to accommodate for changes. Will be flying into London and likely out of Prague (have not booked flights yet so this can change). Hard to say what my budget will be as I will be saving for the whole year until I leave, but am planning to stay in hostels and possibly some couch surfing for most of the trip, and travel by train or cheap buses / flights (likely without a eurail pass as I will book all of my tickets in advance and will hopefully save money this way). The London, Amsterdam, Brugge and Paris portion of the trip will be with my partner, and the rest on my own. Now a bit about myself: I am a 21 year old female from Australia however definitely not planning to party whatsoever, am more into scenery and nature, as well as wandering aimlessly in beautiful cities, will visit must see museums but is not a huge must and don't want to be sick of them after 2 months, although am highly interested in WWII Nazi Germany's side of things and will go out of my way to visit things like auschwitz.I am aware it will be bordering on winter so have saved coastal destinations e.g. Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Greece, Spain, Portugal for another trip. Am also hoping to balance the trip out with some small, cute towns. I will be doing quite a lot of day trips out of cities as I would prefer to leave my luggage in one home base rather than lugging it around everywhere, even if I am backtracking a bit. I have done LOTS of research and this is a final draft of my itinerary prior to booking flights so any last minute suggestions would be great! Particularly regarding adding or subtracting days in particular places or adding destinations in.
London: 5 nights. A day trip to the Cotswolds, will also visit Oxford or Cambridge and possibly Stonehenge.
Amsterdam: 3 nights
Brugge: 2 nights
Paris: 5 nights. Day trip to Versailles, mont st michel and potentially some Normandy sites and towns (would love to visit Rouen based on Pinterest pictures, haha!)
Strasbourg: 3 nights. Day trip to Colmar.
Lauterbrunnen: 3 nights. Possibly visit Wengen and Gimmelwald but not a must.
Annecy: 3 nights. Day trip to Mont Blanc.
Avignon: 4 nights. Use two days to visit Provence towns especially st remy, may do a Viator trip to do 3 towns in one day without hassle of public transport. Have chosen Avignon as most forum posters suggest this as a central point with lots of transport options if you are not hiring a car.
Nice: 3 nights. Must visit Eze! If time will see Monaco and Cannes but not a must.
Florence: 4 nights. Will use most days to visit Tuscan towns especially San gimignano, volterra, Siena, Lucca, montepulciano. May do this via a Viator trip. Am open to staying in Siena as a base instead with a day trip to Florence to have a less busy feel to come back to?
Rome: 4 nights
Venice: 4-5 nights as I am doing a day trip to Verona and potentially the dolomite region with a tour group - is this a good idea?
Munich: 4-5 nights as doing a few day trips around romantic road region and definitely dachau and Neuschwanstein Castle.
Salzburg: 3 nights. Day trip to Hallstatt.
Vienna: 3 nights
Budapest: 3 nights
Kraków: 3 nights. Day trip to auschwitz.
Prague: 5-6 nights. Day trip to creaky krumlov and Dresden are musts.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vatican City questions
- 2 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 3 3 weeks - Helsinki-Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius - Aug/Sept.
- 4 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 5 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 6 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 7 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 8 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 9 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 10 Piedmont as a destination
- 11 dinner jackets
- 12 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 13 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 14 Garda Land
- 15 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 16 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 17 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 18 2 weeks Europe trip
- 19 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 20 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 21 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 22 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 23 Cordoba Overnight?
- 24 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 25 Need Help with German Train Schedule