My boyfriend and I (both 28 yrs old) are going to be traveling to the UK in late Dec/early January and have made a rough itinerary of places we'd like to see. I just spoke with a frequent UK-tourist and she said driving is nearly impossible in the winter and we should narrow down our list of places to visit. So far this is what we have:
-4 days/5 nights in London
Rent car and drive to:
-1 day at Chester Zoo, 1 night in Liverpool (have to visit the zoo for work)
-1 day/1 night in York
-2 days/ 2 nights in Lake District
-3 days/3 nights in Scottish Highlands (We thought 1 day/night in each of Ft. William, Inverness, & somewhere around Perth)
Return car in Edinburg:
-2 days/2 nights in Edinburg
Fly to London:
-1 day/1 night in London
I'm looking for input on: things to see at that time of year, things to skip that may be closed or boring in winter, and suggestions for alternative routes that may cut down our driving time (or other comparably priced traveling options).
My family is all from Scotland and this would be my first time visiting - so I would like to spend a little time there if possible.
Many thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time in Bulgaria
- 2 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 3 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 4 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 5 No Periods in British Written English!
- 6 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 7 Self drive tour companies
- 8 Cambridge in May
- 9 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 10 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 11 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 12 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 13 Madrid/Lisbon
- 14 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 15 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 16 Greek fuel cost
- 17 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 18 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 19 Beach + City + Hiking + Art + Views + Food =
- 20 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 21 Day trips from Florence
- 22 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 23 May get together in Paris
- 24 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 25 Planning a Trip to Greece