My boyfriend and I (both 28 yrs old) are going to be traveling to the UK in late Dec/early January and have made a rough itinerary of places we'd like to see. I just spoke with a frequent UK-tourist and she said driving is nearly impossible in the winter and we should narrow down our list of places to visit. So far this is what we have:
-4 days/5 nights in London
Rent car and drive to:
-1 day at Chester Zoo, 1 night in Liverpool (have to visit the zoo for work)
-1 day/1 night in York
-2 days/ 2 nights in Lake District
-3 days/3 nights in Scottish Highlands (We thought 1 day/night in each of Ft. William, Inverness, & somewhere around Perth)
Return car in Edinburg:
-2 days/2 nights in Edinburg
Fly to London:
-1 day/1 night in London
I'm looking for input on: things to see at that time of year, things to skip that may be closed or boring in winter, and suggestions for alternative routes that may cut down our driving time (or other comparably priced traveling options).
My family is all from Scotland and this would be my first time visiting - so I would like to spend a little time there if possible.
Many thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 2 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 3 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 4 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 5 Lille Braderie 2017
- 6 Europe First Timers
- 7 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 8 Rome or Venice first
- 9 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 10 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 11 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 12 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 13 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 14 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 15 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 16 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 17 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 18 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 19 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 20 Athens Help
- 21 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 22 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 23 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 24 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 25 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise