My boyfriend and I (both 28 yrs old) are going to be traveling to the UK in late Dec/early January and have made a rough itinerary of places we'd like to see. I just spoke with a frequent UK-tourist and she said driving is nearly impossible in the winter and we should narrow down our list of places to visit. So far this is what we have:
-4 days/5 nights in London
Rent car and drive to:
-1 day at Chester Zoo, 1 night in Liverpool (have to visit the zoo for work)
-1 day/1 night in York
-2 days/ 2 nights in Lake District
-3 days/3 nights in Scottish Highlands (We thought 1 day/night in each of Ft. William, Inverness, & somewhere around Perth)
Return car in Edinburg:
-2 days/2 nights in Edinburg
Fly to London:
-1 day/1 night in London
I'm looking for input on: things to see at that time of year, things to skip that may be closed or boring in winter, and suggestions for alternative routes that may cut down our driving time (or other comparably priced traveling options).
My family is all from Scotland and this would be my first time visiting - so I would like to spend a little time there if possible.
Many thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting around London
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Language to use in Belgium
- 4 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 5 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 6 WWI sites
- 7 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 8 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 9 Paris in August
- 10 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 11 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 12 Christmas in Spain
- 13 Germany-Car or Train
- 14 Brussels flower tapestry
- 15 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 16 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 17 Lake Como,Italy
- 18 21, 18 and 6 year old trip to Europe
- 19 Valencia Spain
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 22 Places to visit from Zurich
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 25 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland