Many thanks to those on this site who were so helpful. Flew into Manchester on October 4th, traveling with a friend. Our flight from USA was delayed (just 1 1/2 hours) which may have contributed to a back up at Manchester immigration. Took a full hour to get through. Then had fewer choices of train to Windermere so we had to change trains twice, a bit of a pain with luggage and jet lag but we managed and Brits on the trains were friendly and helpful. Took taxi from Windermere to our lodging, Lindeth Howe, just on the outskirts of Bowness. LOVED THIS COUNTRY HOTEL! Very helpful staff, beautiful setting, lovely, lush furnishings, spacious room. Our room with a lake view did require navigating some stairs but staff took our luggage up and brought it down for checkout. We had decided not to rent a car and we are glad for that; we just could not have navigated the roads ourselves. First day, we walked into Bowness, peeked around, toured the church, ate lunch in the pub Hole in t'Wall (which I recommend as a place for a pint but do NOT recommend eating there!). Took a bus to Brockhole and enjoyed some time watching birds in their "bird hide". Second day, Lindeth Howe set us up on Mountain Goat's Ten Lake spectacular tour which we loved. We had nice weather; wonderful driver/guide. Like that it included a boat ride on Derwentwater. Had lunch in Keswick at Lakeland Pedlar, a vegetarian restaurant we thought was wonderful. Full day. Second day took Mountain Goat's Beatrix Potter tour: enjoyed seeing Wray Castle which the driver added on, Hill Top House, boat ride on Coniston, etc. Also lucky with the weather that day too. Our last day (had to catch 1pm nonstop train to Manchester Airport), we toured Blackwell House and loved that. We ate all our dinners at Lindeth Howe; food there is terrific. A couple of nights we were tired and they were very accommodating about just bringing us soup and salad in one of their lounges. Two nights we ate in the dining room and just about licked our plates! They also packed us box lunches two days. It was just a wonderful trip with amazing scenery. Interesting that we encountered few US tourists; most at Lindeth Howe were UK folks and out and about they were European or Asian. Actually, that was kind of nice.
England's Lake District
- 1 Paris 2 bedroom/2bathroom apartment you would recommend?
- 2 Yet another train question......
- 3 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 4 Transportation for 7 ladies from Marais apartment to only airport
- 5 Chatham Dockyards Need a Whole Day?
- 6 Our 4 weeks in Turkey - Trip Report
- 7 Stonehenge
- 8 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 9 Chip-and-PIN cards again
- 10 Getting the best our of Europe
- 11 Driving the Mediterranean - Spain, France & Italy - 3 weeks - August 2013
- 12 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 13 hotels in Milan, Italy
- 14 Perfect gondola ride and dinner in Venice? But on a budget.
- 15 14 days Ireland/Scotland Trip Report
- 16 Reichstag tickets
- 17 Paris Ticket t+
- 18 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 19 Sussex Day Out Which Option to Choose?
- 20 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 21 One week in Norway
- 22 Albi-Carcassonne to St. Remy
- 23 Driving Through Adriatic Italy
- 24 Day trip or 1 night in Paris from London (w 7y/o & visiting Disney)
- 25 Am I too fat too travel?