We are considering last-minute plans to head to England sometime in the first couple weeks of October for a relative's wedding. Our dates are a bit flexible. We'd probably fly into LHR and out of MAN (where they live). We will NOT have a car and don't mind walking. We will have about 7 full days, not including travel days, but again this is a bit flexible. We don't mind spending a day getting somewhere, having supper and spending the night, then heading back out the next day after breakfast - that's okay with us.
I have visited a lot of the UK before with my family a while ago and love all things England - my spouse has never been. We just want to relax and admire and travel the expanse of the isle as much as possible and eat good food and squeeze in a bit of the fantastic history wherever possible.
We were thinking 2 days in London. My must revisit is the Tower of London. Can't remember how hard it would be to walk to other major sights from here. We'd most likely end up using the Hop On/Hop Off.
I have a recent interest in War of Roses/Plantagenet history, so please keep in mind that interest when considering your suggestions.
My spouse would love to take the train as far north as possible - hopefully Liverpool and possibly getting up to north Scotland (just to get there) - has some connections in Newcastle upon Tyne so wouldn't mind getting up there, too.
We are definitely up for squeezing in whatever else is possible in a quick day trip. We would need to end up in Manchester where our flight would depart.
We are likely going to get a Britrail pass (possibly just within England if getting to Scotland proves too ambitious).
Does this information help you put together any sort of coherent train travel itinerary that makes any sense? None of this is obviously set in stone, just trying to figure out how to make the most of our time there and do it without a car!
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 2 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 3 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 4 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 5 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 6 Vienna to Budapest via Bratislava stopover
- 7 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 8 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 9 Language to use in Belgium
- 10 Base for hiking in Lower Engadine
- 11 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 12 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 13 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 14 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 15 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 16 Whistle stop family road trip
- 17 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 18 The DCC scam is spreading
- 19 ATM by Budapest Nuygati TS
- 20 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 21 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 22 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 23 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 24 Lake Como,Italy
- 25 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland