Another trip to Paris is looming. Judy (here on Fodors) and her friends and family make regular pilgrimages to Paris and I am delighted to have been invited to join them this time around. I met Judy and her husband last September when our trips to Annecy, Lyon and Paris coincided and I met her daughters the day they arrived in Paris. They have a lot of fun together and I'm really looking forward to meeting up with them and meeting their other friends too.
Judy and her friends will be there for a few weeks, with other of their family members joining at different times. I'm tagging along for eight nights. Here we go!
Currently planned activities:
Arrival evening - happy hour at O Chateau, a wine bar in the 1st. I met up with a friend there last September and really enjoyed it. The flights of wine they serve are top-notch and it's a beautiful space. They also have wine tastings and classes.
If arrival day shows pleasant weather, I'm going to attempt to fight jet lag and visit Vaux le Vicomte which really dolls up for the holidays. If not, I may try for the next day (Sunday). Judy and her husband want to go but as he arrives one week later they plan to visit the following weekend and I'm on a plane that Sunday.
We have tickets for the ballet at Opera Garnier that Monday night. The ballet is "William Forsythe/Trisha Brown", choreographers. We plan a late lunch at Willi's wine bar to avoid worrying about pre-theater dining. I don't know anything about this ballet but I'm really looking forward to the people watching and watching a performance under the Marc Chagall ceiling! Also, coupes of champagne.
We were hoping to get into Frenchies one day but predictably are having troubles getting a live voice on the phone. We might wander past the wine bar around opening time to see if we can get in. It's worth a shot, at least.
Wednesday: dinner at Septime. We also have tour guide extraordinaire, Michael, set to meet up with us the whole day. I believe we will visit Musee d'Orsay and especially the new exhibit on Impressionism and Fashion. I think we were also going to attempt to visit the new Louvre wing on Islam that day as well.
Thursday: all day in Reims, with lunch at Les Crayeres. Train tickets already secured.
Friday: dinner at Verjus.
Saturday: lunch at les Papilles.
Things that are not reserved but that we hope to do:
Xmas windows and displays, especially the grand old department stores.
Lots of shopping, window and otherwise.
Much eating of croissants and macarons and other delectables. Foodie apps at the ready.
I've got notes from all over - I follow a number of Paris bloggers
Jacques Genin and other hot chocolate purveyors
The Van Cleef and Arpels exhibit at Les Arts Décoratifs.
An exhibit at Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson
There is an excellent exhibit at the Hotel de Ville right now on Paris and Hollywood.
Maybe a drink at the top of the Tour Montparnasse. I've never been near it.
Last but not least, lots and lots of photos.
I am probably forgetting some things. As I think of others I'll come back.
Any thoughts welcome for a Xmas visit to Paris. Exhibits, new restaurants, you name it, happy to hear about it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 2 Affordable French language course in France?
- 3 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 4 http://fornatgaex.com/tvolve-reviews/
- 5 Budapest on a budget
- 6 Budget stay in or around Heidelberg
- 7 Staying in or around Koblenz?
- 8 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 9 Italy in October
- 10 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 11 http://phytolyft.com/tvolve-reviews/
- 12 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 13 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 14 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 15 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 16 3 days to spend in europe
- 17 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 18 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 19 Beaches in Southern France
- 20 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 21 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 22 Car Rental at Malaga Port
- 23 What Greek islands should I visit
- 24 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 25 Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions