Hi guys! My brothers and I are all in our early twenties and we're interested in traveling around Eastern Europe for 16-17 days sometime in late August or early September. We're interested in visiting Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary and Romania and were wondering how accessible this region was by train or car?? We have family friends in Dubrovnik and thought that might be a good place to start and then enroute North to Ljubljana we'd stop by Split. We were considering visiting Traglav National Park and the cave systems in northern Slovenia, but someone mentioned that the quickest route to Budapest was via Zagreb so there'd be good deal of back tracking. After Budapest, we were interested in visiting some towns in Transylvania (Cluj-Napoca, Brasov & Bran) enroute to Bucharest which will be our end point. Are hostels reliable in any of these cities or would hotels be a wiser choice?? How widely is English spoken in these cities?? Between the three of us, we have conversational French and Italian covered at least which will help. There don't seem to be any direct flights from the US to Croatia or Slovenia, but we figured we'd fly direct to London and then transfer to Stansted which offers budget flight via Easyjet or Ryanair down to Croatia. We might be totally crazy for attempting this (go ahead and say it haha!), but we've road tripped across the US in as much time with about as many stops on our trip and found it fine. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Eastern Europe Tour??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 2 Azores
- 3 Trains in Italy
- 4 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 5 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 6 French open
- 7 Euro Quiz #4 - Europe's Ten Tallest Cathedrals...
- 8 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 9 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 10 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 11 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 12 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 13 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 14 England and Scotland
- 15 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 16 Air pollution in Paris
- 17 tulips in the Netherland
- 18 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 19 Munich - (2) nights plus an extra evening - your suggestions?
- 20 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 21 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 22 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 23 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 24 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 25 Azores