I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Eastern Europe (20ish days)
- 1 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 2 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 3 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 4 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 rent car / Munich
- 7 Apartments in Rome
- 8 London for Christmas
- 9 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 10 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 11 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 12 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 13 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 14 To Paris and Provence in June
- 15 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 16 7 days in Andalucia
- 17 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 18 Madrid to Sevilla
- 19 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 20 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 21 A full week in The Netherlands
- 22 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 23 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 24 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 25 Ireland in a week