I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How much do i need?
- 2 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 3 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 4 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 5 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 6 Road trip - Italian to French Riveria
- 7 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 8 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 9 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 10 AVE train tickets questions.
- 11 Greece: Final thoughts and pictures (I hope)
- 12 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 13 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 14 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 15 France to stop making foie grois
- 16 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 17 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 18 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 19 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 20 How big backpack do I need?
- 21 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 22 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 23 Path of the Gods Question
- 24 Loire Valley 12 days
- 25 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?