I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 2 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 3 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 4 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 5 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 6 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 7 Hotels in Turin
- 8 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 9 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 10 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 11 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 14 3 days solo in London
- 15 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 16 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 17 Help on ancient history route
- 18 Chania
- 19 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 20 Now to Madrid
- 21 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 22 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 23 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 24 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 25 Riviera di Ponente in mid October