I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Eastern Europe (20ish days)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 biking in France
- 2 Help with France itinerary
- 3 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 4 Anyone familiar with these Ile St. Louis apartments?
- 5 Help - road trip from Munich to Bruges
- 6 Marche Bastille - Oct Hours and Meet up Location?
- 7 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 8 Naples to Paris to Barcelona in November
- 9 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 10 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 11 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 12 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 13 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 14 South of France - recommendations please!
- 15 Leaving for Paris in three weeks, what are the must "book ahead" sights?
- 16 Add a day to Madrid or Barcelona??
- 17 Barcelona at night? Single female...
- 18 Sienna at night
- 19 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 20 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 21 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 22 Siena Favorites?
- 23 Flying Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy to London
- 24 Terrorism in Europe
- 25 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como