I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cork or Galway?
- 2 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 3 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 4 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 5 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 6 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 7 Barcelona completely overrated
- 8 Seville in late January
- 9 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 10 Spain Itinerary Help
- 11 2 days brussel day trip london?
- 12 Well, I'm always warning people
- 13 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 14 Geneva Airport Arrival
- 15 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 16 3 days to spend in europe
- 17 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 18 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 19 Beaches in Southern France
- 20 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 21 Meeting place into Venice Marco Polo Airport
- 22 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 23 Europe Sim card help
- 24 4 days in London worth the jetlag?
- 25 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary