I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Eastern Europe (20ish days)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 EUROPE IN 5 MONTHS
- 2 Choosing a Parmegiano Reggiano Dairy Farm to Visit
- 3 Split to Venice. Help!
- 4 Andaz Liverpool street or Hyde park?
- 5 Dijon or Beaune for overnight?
- 6 tour guides for Copenhagen?
- 7 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 8 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 9 Best way to get from Athens to Naples & rec for Greek Isles & Amalfi Coast
- 10 Private Guide in Istanbul
- 11 First pass itinerary for Spain in October?
- 12 Europcar (via Kemwel) - rent GPS at pickup?
- 13 Chip and Pin Card from Capital One
- 14 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 15 Flamenco show- madrid or seville?
- 16 Trip from Berlin to Romantic Road towns/Bavaria
- 17 Monet's Giverny
- 18 Plan for the Drive from York to Edinburgh
- 19 Please review ireland golf and sight seeing trip for beginning of May
- 20 What Have I Forgotten? Month in Europe Coming Up.
- 21 Please help with Itinerary Draft for Madrid, Andalucia
- 22 Transportation in Paris
- 23 TURKEY + ? in 20 days
- 24 Urgent Need of Advice
- 25 French rental car advice needed