I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Back from Paris
- 2 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 3 바다이야기릴 ◐ 도메인 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 4 My릴게임야마토 ▼ 접속 :≫vtk15.com≪ Topic Title
- 5 야마토전함 ※연결 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 10 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 11 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 12 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 13 Trip suggestion
- 14 Spain in July
- 15 Summer Travel order
- 16 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 17 LIsbon
- 18 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 19 Corfu
- 20 Chios and Mesta Chios
- 21 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 22 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 23 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 24 International Flight Question
- 25 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days