I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Ireland itinerary
- 2 Venice worth it? 2 or 3 nights?
- 3 Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov??
- 4 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 5 Flights to Venice--how much time is enough for stop in Amsterdam?
- 6 Tuscany: Which town(s) to stay in if main priorities are wine & food?
- 7 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 8 Driving from Tuscany to Positano - recos needed!
- 9 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 10 Amsterdam in August
- 11 Spoleto, Bevagna, Montefalco or Spello?
- 12 Access from Normandy American Cemetery to Beach No Longer Accessible
- 13 Seville Itinerary
- 14 Getting From Milan to Arezzo
- 15 flying into Lyon..have 10 days
- 16 6 x Day Roadtrip in the Andalucia Region
- 17 First timers to Italy
- 18 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 19 Iberia Airlines compensation for delayed luggage
- 20 Spello v. Spoleto as base for Umbria
- 21 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- 22 Traveling from Vienna to Berlin
- 23 Train questions for Switzerland
- 24 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 25 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested