I am planning a trip for early Sept 2012 with my wife and mother. My mother has never left the country and just got her passport today. She is 65 but in good health with a bit of emphysema...so super active sports, or carrying heavy backpacks, are out.
I used to live in Europe and my wife and I have visited Europe several times, with our last trip (Oct 2011) being a driving trip from Zurich, to Munich (for Oktoberfest), then Prague, then Poland (Stalag Luft III), then Berlin, then Uden Netherlands (where I used to live), then Brussels and home. We rented a car for this trip and loved the freedom of coming and going when we wanted (not on a train timetable) and we could pull off the road whenever we saw something cool.
So...this trip we are planning to hit Budapest (5 days), Vienna (5 days), Bratislava (day trip), and Krakow (5 days). Again...my mother has never left the USA and she likes to slow things down a bit....take it all in. So I dont want to squeeze too many stops into our trip. The TENTATIVE PLAN right now is to fly in/out of Vienna. After Vienna, rent car to drive through Bratislava to Budapest, then straight north-ish to Krakow. I would like to break up this leg (Budapest to Krakow) with an overnight somewhere? Any suggestions for a small town with beautiful scenery/charm?
After Krakow, drive back down to Vienna with a stop for a night or two in a beautiful Czech town (again something small with charm).
Besides the famous concentration camp and salt mines in Krakow...I have NO IDEA what we should see and do around Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. Would love your suggestions!
We are also up to lengthing or shortening the DAYS in each City. I just figured 5 sounded good.
Here is the tentative driving path: http://g.co/maps/z8m99
Eastern Europe (20ish days)
- 1 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 2 Garmisch-Partenkirchen accomodations
- 3 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 4 Rome to Amalfie Coast-10 year anniversary
- 5 Rome Airport to Amalfi Coast
- 6 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 7 Paris metro
- 8 2 Week Trip to France - Please Help Me Stu Dudley
- 9 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 10 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 11 What is the best food in France?
- 12 Trenitalia
- 13 Estonia
- 14 Netherland -> Belgium -> West Germany for 18 days
- 15 What is the best travel/tour agency to use for escorted trips abroad?
- 16 Holiday rental home in Wengen
- 17 Accommodation in Lauterbrunnen
- 18 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 19 Tour company in Toledo
- 20 3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK (The Trip)
- 21 Travel with 13 Month Old
- 22 France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?
- 23 Piazza della Liberta -Florence
- 24 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 25 Berne or Montreux, I can't decide