Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Labor Day in Paris
- 2 credit and debit cards
- 3 Train up the Jungfrau
- 4 3 months in Switzerland this summer, need suggestions on weekend trips
- 5 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 6 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 7 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 8 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 9 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 10 I may be wrong....
- 11 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 12 Driver"s License & Language
- 13 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 14 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 15 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 16 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations
- 17 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 18 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 19 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 20 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 21 I cuisine vs Cookin With Class
- 22 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 23 A visit to Greenwich
- 24 Advice on zermatt hotels
- 25 Spain or South of France in July 2017?