Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Driving to Italy avoiding the long road tunnels
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 2 canopy installation
- 3 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 4 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 5 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?
- 6 Best beach town in Italy?
- 7 Italy and Croatia
- 8 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 9 TRYP or Hotel Londres Inglaterra
- 10 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 11 Travel between Madrid and Caceres
- 12 Five nights in Extremadura
- 13 57 Reasons to Love Yorkshire
- 14 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 15 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 16 Best Car Rental company in Italy?
- 17 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 18 trip to norway
- 19 Is Venice really dirty?
- 20 Where to go in France mid July?
- 21 Help with England/Wales tour
- 22 3 weeks in France starting in burgundy
- 23 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 24 Have you ever stayed in Praiano?
- 25 Cotswold Churches