Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Could you recommend a city tour in Reykjavík?
- 2 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 3 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 4 Scotland at Christmas itinerary
- 5 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 6 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 7 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 8 First visit to London
- 9 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 10 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 11 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 12 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 13 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 14 Help me make this possible!
- 15 Where to pick up rental car in Venice
- 16 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 17 Is skip the queue for Versailles worth it
- 18 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 19 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #185
- 20 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 21 London is it worth it?
- 22 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 23 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 24 Paris and Normandy
- 25 Europe in 2 weeks on budget