Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 2 8 Days in Spain
- 3 9 Days in Spain
- 4 Iceland early december visit
- 5 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 6 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 7 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 10 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 11 Milan or Turin
- 12 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 13 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 14 Barcelona alternative
- 15 Paris to Italy
- 16 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 17 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 18 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 19 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 20 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 21 Frankfurt to UK
- 22 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 23 God Save the Queen?
- 24 Road trip with our dog
- 25 Visiting Plitivce National Park