Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 2 Venice & Bellagio Trip Report
- 3 20 Days in Europe
- 4 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 5 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 6 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 7 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 8 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 9 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 10 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 11 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 12 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 13 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 14 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 15 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 16 Europe in late January
- 17 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 18 European Cooking Secrets
- 19 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 20 Travel vs. Babies
- 21 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 22 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 23 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 24 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 25 Travel help