Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 2 Happy birthday ATM
- 3 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 4 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 5 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 6 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 7 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 8 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 9 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 10 BG/SLBC/MTN/DLC/LC FOR LEASE AND PURCHACE
- 11 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 12 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 13 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 14 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 15 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 16 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 17 Spain - day driver advice
- 18 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 19 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 20 London with Teens Trip Report
- 21 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 22 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 23 Lake Como AREA questions
- 24 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 25 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??