Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Istanbul - FOOD!
- 2 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 3 London with kids
- 4 Southern Spain or Sicily in early to mid March
- 5 Romantic snowy mountain getaway to propose to my girlfriend
- 6 Looking for advice about 2 week solo trip to Italy
- 7 How to get from the Airport (Charles de Gaul) to Marais
- 8 Help with ferry schedule Naples to Sorrento please.
- 9 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 10 Croatia Driving Trip in March
- 11 Venice to Malpensa: which way to travel?
- 12 Reading Recommendations Spain
- 13 Flight Cost to Athens
- 14 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 15 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 16 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 17 Public Transport information App/Website
- 18 Hotel advice
- 19 Flying from Porto to Barcelona
- 20 First time to Ireland with young kids
- 21 Easter in Tuscany - which town to stay?
- 22 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 23 Dropping off a rental car in Chiusi question
- 24 Flight to London - Discount Airlines?
- 25 Gengenbach or Schiltach