Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Honeymoon trip Italy
- 2 Paris Apartment Rental ? - reviews
- 3 France: "Fines Herbes" Include Dandelions?
- 4 Pickpocketing in Europe
- 5 Portugal Transportation
- 6 Kerouac - please say the weather will clear up in Paris
- 7 Paris birthday dinner for 10yo
- 8 Is Valladolid a place visit?
- 9 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 10 Itinerary Help: Granada or Madrid??
- 11 Need to purchase British currency from US
- 12 First trip to Europe and going alone.
- 13 Tour Guides or Tour Companies in Prague and Hotels
- 14 Afternoon Tea Ideas
- 15 Driving Trip Basque Country and/or Aquitaine Pls Advise
- 16 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 17 Another Sagrada Familia question
- 18 Greek Islands for Older Couple
- 19 Paris Picture Overlays
- 20 Visiting Eastern Europe - planes, trains, and stamps?
- 21 I have one extra day in my FIRST TIME EUROPE trip, where should I spend it?
- 22 SPAIN FOR 2WKS
- 23 2 Days in Rome
- 24 Spain 2 weeks itinerary help
- 25 Soriano nel Cimino - need some help please!