Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 2 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 3 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 4 Beaches in Southern France
- 5 Abruzzo region
- 6 cell phone companys
- 7 Tuscany Villa rental family of 8/10
- 8 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 9 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 10 Guides - Matera
- 11 Open mindedness on Fodors.
- 12 Meeting place into Venice Marco Polo Airport
- 13 Spain Itinerary Help
- 14 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 15 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 16 What NOT TO WEAR in PARIS & ROME?! Women's Fashion Help!
- 17 French lavender and cottages
- 18 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 19 Iceland: The Land of Fire and Ice
- 20 Eastern Europe Summer 2017 Itinerary + Mykonos Break
- 21 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 22 Barcelona completely overrated
- 23 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 24 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 25 What am I missing: Amsterdam