Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 2 fear of driving in rome!
- 3 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 4 Trains France/Switzerland
- 5 European Championship
- 6 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 7 Need help identifying something in Barcelona
- 8 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 9 Italy trains question
- 10 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 11 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 12 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 13 One in Paris ... help
- 14 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 15 Three days in Istanbul in August
- 16 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 17 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 18 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 19 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 20 Drive from Vejer to Granada
- 21 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 22 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 23 Two nights with kids in Normandy/Brittany
- 24 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 25 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure