Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 2 Our time in Rome
- 3 Renting International Cars from USA
- 4 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 5 Flamenco concerts in Madrid
- 6 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 7 Enjoying England for a year!
- 8 Spain - Advice for Beach towns
- 9 Iceland in 4 days?
- 10 Europe itinerary
- 11 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 12 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 13 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 14 London road closings this weekend: Bike Race
- 15 Europe itinerary review
- 16 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 17 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 18 train from ravenna to parma
- 19 Timing when visiting the Dordogne Department
- 20 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 21 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 22 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 23 European Travel in March
- 24 Les bons plans de whathello - paris - hotel
- 25 Transport from Prague to Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Romania