It's our 20th anniversary in August and we decided that a trip to Italy is how we wanted to celebrate it. We've only been to Italy a few times and DS was going to be there at the same time. We've been to Venice and Milan and so Florence it is this time. We've loved our previous driving holidays (we drove to Athens for the Olympics in 2004) and so this is my first considered draft at our schedule:
Saturday 23 - leave Manchester early and overnight in Ghent
Sunday 24 - morning in Ghent and then overnight in Metz
Monday 25 - after checking out the Pompidou Centre overnight north of Interlaken
Tuesday 26 - drive to Florence
Wdnesday 27 - in Florence
Thursday 28 - in Florence
Friday 29 - after a last morning in Florence drive the 90 miles to Modena for dinner at Osteria Francescana where DS, who will by now be in the south of France, will try and join us. Table for 3 booked. Overnight at Hotel Cervetta 5, which is just a short stroll from the restaurant.
Saturday 30 - overnight in Binn, Switzerland
Sunday 31 - drive to Clos de la Prairie, 60 miles south of Calais
Monday 1 - drive to Calais for some intensive shopping and get an early afternoon Eurotunnel, arriving home in Manchester tired but happy.
I know there are some long drives at the beginning and end of the trip and particularly on Saturday 30th but we have done long day drives before and they are fine.
I guess that what I'm looking for is any advice or tips on things not to miss en route; tweaks to make to the schedule; restaurants etc. Our budget is approx. £100 a night for accommodation and I think it will be a mix of airbnb and tripadvisor places.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 2 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 3 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 4 Les Invalides Night Show
- 5 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 6 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 7 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 10 Shuttle service from Munich to Prague
- 11 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 12 Comments on Apt Location in Madrid
- 13 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 14 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 15 Camogli and surrounds
- 16 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 17 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 18 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 21 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 22 Shorts in South of France?
- 23 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 24 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 25 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience