It's our 20th anniversary in August and we decided that a trip to Italy is how we wanted to celebrate it. We've only been to Italy a few times and DS was going to be there at the same time. We've been to Venice and Milan and so Florence it is this time. We've loved our previous driving holidays (we drove to Athens for the Olympics in 2004) and so this is my first considered draft at our schedule:
Saturday 23 - leave Manchester early and overnight in Ghent
Sunday 24 - morning in Ghent and then overnight in Metz
Monday 25 - after checking out the Pompidou Centre overnight north of Interlaken
Tuesday 26 - drive to Florence
Wdnesday 27 - in Florence
Thursday 28 - in Florence
Friday 29 - after a last morning in Florence drive the 90 miles to Modena for dinner at Osteria Francescana where DS, who will by now be in the south of France, will try and join us. Table for 3 booked. Overnight at Hotel Cervetta 5, which is just a short stroll from the restaurant.
Saturday 30 - overnight in Binn, Switzerland
Sunday 31 - drive to Clos de la Prairie, 60 miles south of Calais
Monday 1 - drive to Calais for some intensive shopping and get an early afternoon Eurotunnel, arriving home in Manchester tired but happy.
I know there are some long drives at the beginning and end of the trip and particularly on Saturday 30th but we have done long day drives before and they are fine.
I guess that what I'm looking for is any advice or tips on things not to miss en route; tweaks to make to the schedule; restaurants etc. Our budget is approx. £100 a night for accommodation and I think it will be a mix of airbnb and tripadvisor places.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hello -Please- Excuse Me- Good-Bye - Thank You ???
- 2 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 3 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 4 We're here!
- 5 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 8 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 9 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 10 Swiss Travel Pass
- 11 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 12 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 13 Athens
- 14 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 15 airports near Delphi or Kalabaka
- 16 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 17 Another Guide for Art Loving Tourists
- 18 Petrol in Greece
- 19 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 20 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 21 France for 3 weeks..Too many choices
- 22 Gyms in Paris-day passes?
- 23 Christmas markets still open after Dec 25?
- 24 Wimbledon Debenture tickets
- 25 Please critique my itinerary in Italy