I’m not new to Fondor’s but this is my very first post here asking for some advices on a 3 weeks trip along Coastal Spain, France and Italy.
We are a total of 3 Brazilians travelling: my mother (50 yo), a girl friend of my mom (50yo) and myself (21 years old). We are looking for picturesque views and major attractions, however avoiding the super touristic places. We also do not want to rush from one place to another.
The major idea of the trip is flying into Barcelona spending 2-3 days there, then renting a car and driving from Barcelona to Florence. Once we get in Florence we will spend another 2-3 days there too, and then take a ferry back to Barcelona. So that means we are mostly driving and flying in and out of Barcelona.
I have already worked on a preliminary schedule, and here is where I would like to hear from the more-experienced travelers if my schedule is good, and perhaps get some insider tips on where to sleep over night while en-route and what places not to miss. Below is our schedule, please let me know your thoughts and opinion:
1st Day - Barcelona
2nd Day - Barcelona
3rd Day - Barcelona/Montpellier - Departure Barcelona and drive to Montpellier
4th Day - Montpellier
5th Day - Montpellier/Lyon - Departure Montpellier and drive to Lyon. (on our way to Lyon we would like to make one stop over and visit cities in the region. We thought about Nimes, Arles or Avignon but we are not sure)
6th Day - Lyon
7th Day - Lyon/Aix-en-Provence - Departure Lyon end of the day
8th Day - Aix-en-Provence
9th Day - Aix-en-Provence/Nice (on our way to Nice we would like to make one stop over and visit cities in the regions. We thought about Marseille, but we are not sure)
10th Day - Nice
11th Day - Nice (day trip to St. Tropez or Fréjus, not sure about yet)
12th Day - Nice (day trips are also possible)
13th Day - Nice/Cinque Terre (on this day we will drive part of the cinque terre and stop over somewhere to sleep and continue the next day, but we are not sure where to stop and sleep)
14th Day - Cinque Terre/Florece
15th Day - Florence
16th Day - Florence (day trips possible)
17th Day - Florence/Barcelona (by ferry boat leaving from Livorno) - the ferry only departures at 23:30, so we can spend the day in Pisa, for exemple, but not sure where to spend the day yet.
18th Day - Mostly on the ferry - we arrive in Barcelona at 20:00
19th Day - Barcelona
20th Day - Barcelona
21st Day - Barcelona (last day, flight back to Brazil)
Here are a few considerantions I would like to make:
- As you may have seen, we are spending a lot of time in Barcelona, this is because most people tell us it is one of the nicest cities in Europe, and we all have never been to Barcelona before. Do you think it will be too much of Barcelona for us?
- Are we missing any must-sees during our Journey? I mean, visiting the wrong places when we should head to other cities?
- I have already been advised to include 2 extra days in Lyon.
- I have also been told to include 1-2 extra days in Aix-en-Provence.
Any advises will be greatly appreciated!
Wishing you all a great European summer
Driving the Mediterranean - Spain, France & Italy - 3 weeks - August 2013
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 Italy: Planning a honeymoon....HELP!!!!
- 3 Travel by train or bus
- 4 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 5 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 6 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 7 Traveling within Italy
- 8 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 9 To Paris and Provence in June
- 10 Family European winter holiday
- 11 Florence in October
- 12 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 13 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 14 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 15 London at Easter
- 16 Normandy in mid Sept?
- 17 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 18 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 19 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 20 Advises for trip to Russia
- 21 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 22 Paris to Colmar by Car...Best Route/Stops along the way?
- 23 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 24 Which travel plan?
- 25 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia