I’m not new to Fondor’s but this is my very first post here asking for some advices on a 3 weeks trip along Coastal Spain, France and Italy.
We are a total of 3 Brazilians travelling: my mother (50 yo), a girl friend of my mom (50yo) and myself (21 years old). We are looking for picturesque views and major attractions, however avoiding the super touristic places. We also do not want to rush from one place to another.
The major idea of the trip is flying into Barcelona spending 2-3 days there, then renting a car and driving from Barcelona to Florence. Once we get in Florence we will spend another 2-3 days there too, and then take a ferry back to Barcelona. So that means we are mostly driving and flying in and out of Barcelona.
I have already worked on a preliminary schedule, and here is where I would like to hear from the more-experienced travelers if my schedule is good, and perhaps get some insider tips on where to sleep over night while en-route and what places not to miss. Below is our schedule, please let me know your thoughts and opinion:
1st Day - Barcelona
2nd Day - Barcelona
3rd Day - Barcelona/Montpellier - Departure Barcelona and drive to Montpellier
4th Day - Montpellier
5th Day - Montpellier/Lyon - Departure Montpellier and drive to Lyon. (on our way to Lyon we would like to make one stop over and visit cities in the region. We thought about Nimes, Arles or Avignon but we are not sure)
6th Day - Lyon
7th Day - Lyon/Aix-en-Provence - Departure Lyon end of the day
8th Day - Aix-en-Provence
9th Day - Aix-en-Provence/Nice (on our way to Nice we would like to make one stop over and visit cities in the regions. We thought about Marseille, but we are not sure)
10th Day - Nice
11th Day - Nice (day trip to St. Tropez or Fréjus, not sure about yet)
12th Day - Nice (day trips are also possible)
13th Day - Nice/Cinque Terre (on this day we will drive part of the cinque terre and stop over somewhere to sleep and continue the next day, but we are not sure where to stop and sleep)
14th Day - Cinque Terre/Florece
15th Day - Florence
16th Day - Florence (day trips possible)
17th Day - Florence/Barcelona (by ferry boat leaving from Livorno) - the ferry only departures at 23:30, so we can spend the day in Pisa, for exemple, but not sure where to spend the day yet.
18th Day - Mostly on the ferry - we arrive in Barcelona at 20:00
19th Day - Barcelona
20th Day - Barcelona
21st Day - Barcelona (last day, flight back to Brazil)
Here are a few considerantions I would like to make:
- As you may have seen, we are spending a lot of time in Barcelona, this is because most people tell us it is one of the nicest cities in Europe, and we all have never been to Barcelona before. Do you think it will be too much of Barcelona for us?
- Are we missing any must-sees during our Journey? I mean, visiting the wrong places when we should head to other cities?
- I have already been advised to include 2 extra days in Lyon.
- I have also been told to include 1-2 extra days in Aix-en-Provence.
Any advises will be greatly appreciated!
Wishing you all a great European summer
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 2 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 3 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 4 AVE train tickets questions.
- 5 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 6 Greece: Final thoughts and pictures (I hope)
- 7 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 8 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 9 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 10 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 11 France to stop making foie grois
- 12 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 13 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 14 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 15 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 16 How big backpack do I need?
- 17 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 18 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 19 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 20 Path of the Gods Question
- 21 Loire Valley 12 days
- 22 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 23 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?
- 24 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 25 Greece Itinerary
Driving the Mediterranean - Spain, France & Italy - 3 weeks - August 2013