Husband and I intend to drive from Bellagio to Castelrotto via the Stelvio Pass on the 1st june 2012 in our hire car, which will be a Fiat Grande Punto. We are aware the drive (voted one of the best by Top Gear) is steep and full of hair-pin turns but even after seeing pictures and video we cant imagine driving it yet.
For those of you who have driven this road- do you think it is safe enough in a Fiat Grande Punto (with 2 adults and a boot full of luggage)?
Also- a side question, we are also considering on doing the Bernina pass drive, how does this compare to the stelvio pass regarding scenery and experience- and is it worth doing both?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 2 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 3 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 4 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 5 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 6 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 7 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 8 Canal du Midi
- 9 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 12 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 13 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 14 Perugia
- 15 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 16 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 17 Praiano
- 18 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 19 Self drive tour companies
- 20 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 21 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 24 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 25 No Periods in British Written English!
Driving Stelvio Pass in a hire Fiat Grande Punto, is this possible?????