So, I'm staying on the Amalfi Coast in June next year. We have made our base Salerno for five nights, before we spend two nights in Positano, two nights in Capri and two nights in Ischia, before we leave for Rome.
Our plans while in Salerno include Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Naples, and visiting coastal towns, amongst other (to be defined) things.
Our current thinking while staying in Salerno is to hire a car for 5 days, and we have gone ahead and hired one (early bird rates, but still refundable) so I have a couple of questions on this:
1) The car we have hired is listed as one of Mercedes A-Class, BMW 120D, Volvo V40 or Peugeot 3008 (hopefully it is one of the first three! And hopefully we don't get upgraded to a larger vehicle).
Is this type of vehicle too large to get around the Amalfi? I know the coastal roads are meant to be quite tight (I suspect that the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo aren't too large but perhaps the Peugeot might be)?
2) Given our desire to go to places like Pompeii etc, and to visit some of the other parts of the coast (e.g. Ravello), is a car useful? I know the drive can be a bit daunting, perhaps especially in June, but I also hear that the buses can be crowded.
I know this topic has been done a million times (and I have searched and read most related articles), but these were the two aspects I was not entirely sure of ...
Any assistance appreciated, as always!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 2 Romeloft Apartment Trastevere
- 3 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 4 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 5 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 6 10 days in Paris and......
- 7 Luggage Storage
- 8 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 9 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 10 Summer Travel order
- 11 LIsbon
- 12 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 13 International Flight Question
- 14 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 15 Brugge hotel help
- 16 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 17 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 18 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 19 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 20 Another tipping question: concierges
- 21 Trip suggestion
- 22 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 23 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 24 Back from Paris
- 25 Destination from London by train, advice please