So, I'm staying on the Amalfi Coast in June next year. We have made our base Salerno for five nights, before we spend two nights in Positano, two nights in Capri and two nights in Ischia, before we leave for Rome.
Our plans while in Salerno include Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Naples, and visiting coastal towns, amongst other (to be defined) things.
Our current thinking while staying in Salerno is to hire a car for 5 days, and we have gone ahead and hired one (early bird rates, but still refundable) so I have a couple of questions on this:
1) The car we have hired is listed as one of Mercedes A-Class, BMW 120D, Volvo V40 or Peugeot 3008 (hopefully it is one of the first three! And hopefully we don't get upgraded to a larger vehicle).
Is this type of vehicle too large to get around the Amalfi? I know the coastal roads are meant to be quite tight (I suspect that the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo aren't too large but perhaps the Peugeot might be)?
2) Given our desire to go to places like Pompeii etc, and to visit some of the other parts of the coast (e.g. Ravello), is a car useful? I know the drive can be a bit daunting, perhaps especially in June, but I also hear that the buses can be crowded.
I know this topic has been done a million times (and I have searched and read most related articles), but these were the two aspects I was not entirely sure of ...
Any assistance appreciated, as always!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LEXMARK printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 RICOH@ Printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:68I:7208 Technical SUPP0RT CAre*
- 3 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 4 Italy in January?
- 5 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 6 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 7 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 8 Iceland rental camper company
- 9 retruning to US with souveniers
- 10 BELLSOUTH Password Reset CONTACT ☎1: 800:681:7208 BELLSOUTH Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 11 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 12 Iceland car rental agencies
- 13 How much do you tip a tour guide on an escorted tour?
- 14 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 15 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 16 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 17 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 18 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 19 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 20 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 21 10 days in London in early December
- 22 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 23 Berlin to ?
- 24 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 25 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France