So, I'm staying on the Amalfi Coast in June next year. We have made our base Salerno for five nights, before we spend two nights in Positano, two nights in Capri and two nights in Ischia, before we leave for Rome.
Our plans while in Salerno include Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Naples, and visiting coastal towns, amongst other (to be defined) things.
Our current thinking while staying in Salerno is to hire a car for 5 days, and we have gone ahead and hired one (early bird rates, but still refundable) so I have a couple of questions on this:
1) The car we have hired is listed as one of Mercedes A-Class, BMW 120D, Volvo V40 or Peugeot 3008 (hopefully it is one of the first three! And hopefully we don't get upgraded to a larger vehicle).
Is this type of vehicle too large to get around the Amalfi? I know the coastal roads are meant to be quite tight (I suspect that the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo aren't too large but perhaps the Peugeot might be)?
2) Given our desire to go to places like Pompeii etc, and to visit some of the other parts of the coast (e.g. Ravello), is a car useful? I know the drive can be a bit daunting, perhaps especially in June, but I also hear that the buses can be crowded.
I know this topic has been done a million times (and I have searched and read most related articles), but these were the two aspects I was not entirely sure of ...
Any assistance appreciated, as always!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 2 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 3 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 4 Sketchy Neighborhoods Naples?
- 5 Cotswolds, UK -10 days - end of May'17 move or central base
- 6 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 7 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 8 PARIS: Mini Trip Report, Maxi Enjoyment!
- 9 Rental car in Menton
- 10 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 11 Italy
- 12 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 13 Canal du Midi
- 14 Inverness to Isle of Lewis
- 15 8 days in Spain.. mostly Barcelona, where else should we go
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 17 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 18 Barcelona and...
- 19 helping getting to and from Guarda
- 20 My Ring Road experience in Iceland
- 21 February in Florence
- 22 Praiana to Positano
- 23 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 24 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 25 Family vacation to europe