So, I'm staying on the Amalfi Coast in June next year. We have made our base Salerno for five nights, before we spend two nights in Positano, two nights in Capri and two nights in Ischia, before we leave for Rome.
Our plans while in Salerno include Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Naples, and visiting coastal towns, amongst other (to be defined) things.
Our current thinking while staying in Salerno is to hire a car for 5 days, and we have gone ahead and hired one (early bird rates, but still refundable) so I have a couple of questions on this:
1) The car we have hired is listed as one of Mercedes A-Class, BMW 120D, Volvo V40 or Peugeot 3008 (hopefully it is one of the first three! And hopefully we don't get upgraded to a larger vehicle).
Is this type of vehicle too large to get around the Amalfi? I know the coastal roads are meant to be quite tight (I suspect that the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo aren't too large but perhaps the Peugeot might be)?
2) Given our desire to go to places like Pompeii etc, and to visit some of the other parts of the coast (e.g. Ravello), is a car useful? I know the drive can be a bit daunting, perhaps especially in June, but I also hear that the buses can be crowded.
I know this topic has been done a million times (and I have searched and read most related articles), but these were the two aspects I was not entirely sure of ...
Any assistance appreciated, as always!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 2 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 3 Croatia trip Planning
- 4 If you had to choose one......
- 5 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 6 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 9 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 10 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 11 Driving in Italy?
- 12 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 13 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 14 Tour groups
- 15 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 16 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 17 Ireland in April
- 18 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 19 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 20 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 21 So much to do, so little time!
- 22 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 23 Baby Milk
- 24 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 25 More earthquakes in central Italy