I'm going to be renting a car at LHR in a few weeks, and renting a cottage in the Cotswolds, doing day trips from there.
I've never driven anywhere except the U.S. and Canada, and just wondering, how easy is it to navigate the roads with no GPS (paper maps and Google map printouts only)?
To give you an idea, we'll be driving from London to Canterbury, then to Stratford-upon-Avon, then doing day trips to Oxford, Bath, and others from our cottage in Devizes (Wiltshire, I think). Any thoughts or advice are really appreciated! Particularly from other Americans who've done the same thing.
Driving in the UK with no GPS
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 2 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 3 Wineries open on Saturdays in October
- 4 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 5 Hey Fodor's
- 6 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 7 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 8 Restaurant recommendation for Milan
- 9 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 10 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 11 Seeking Ideas/Suggestions for Post Rhine River Cruise in Switzerland
- 12 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 13 Christmas in salzburg
- 14 Getting from Conrad Dublin to Train Station
- 15 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 16 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 17 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 18 Bad Experience with Argus Car Hire Insurance offered by them
- 19 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 20 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 21 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 22 Italy through locals eyes
- 23 Lagos or Portimao better base to stay
- 24 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 25 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)