At the end of October we will be driving from Lyon, France to Milan, Italy. As we have the entire day to make what Google Maps tells me is normally a 4.5-hour drive, and as neither of us has ever been to Switzerland, we are thinking of making a whole day of it and driving from Lyon up to Geneva and then taking the E62 all the way to Milan, which Google Maps tells me will be a 6-hour drive.
So, a few questions if any of you happen to be familiar with this road and this area: first, does 6 hours seem like a reasonable estimate for the length of this journey? Since the sun will be setting around 5:00 at that point in the year, and driving unfamiliar roads becomes a bit more trying in the dark, I'm trying to pinpoint the times as much as possible.
Second, the E62 takes us over the Simplon Pass, which as I understand it is quite high. Does that ever close in cases of bad weather? And even if it doesn't, does it become difficult or dangerous to drive?
Third, if we do end up taking this road, are there any sites of interest worth stopping at? From looking at the map, the only places I've heard of along the E62 are Lausanne and Brig, but I don't know much about them.
If anyone could offer advice on any of the above, I'd be immensely grateful; I'm thoroughly uninformed about Switzerland. And I realize that driving across the bottom of it will hardly make me any more informed, but we figure that if we have to make the drive anyway, we might as well do something fun with it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 2 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 3 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 4 Prague
- 5 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 6 Sundays in Puglia
- 7 2 Months in Sicily
- 8 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 9 What tips can you give about packing?
- 10 Sim Card Options
- 11 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 12 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 13 Azores
- 14 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 15 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 16 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 17 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 18 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 21 Greek Islands (small)
- 22 Taking a high speed train from Rome, Italy to Venice, Italy for a day trip.
- 23 Scotland in 7 Days
- 24 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 25 Climbing Ben Nevis in June