At the end of October we will be driving from Lyon, France to Milan, Italy. As we have the entire day to make what Google Maps tells me is normally a 4.5-hour drive, and as neither of us has ever been to Switzerland, we are thinking of making a whole day of it and driving from Lyon up to Geneva and then taking the E62 all the way to Milan, which Google Maps tells me will be a 6-hour drive.
So, a few questions if any of you happen to be familiar with this road and this area: first, does 6 hours seem like a reasonable estimate for the length of this journey? Since the sun will be setting around 5:00 at that point in the year, and driving unfamiliar roads becomes a bit more trying in the dark, I'm trying to pinpoint the times as much as possible.
Second, the E62 takes us over the Simplon Pass, which as I understand it is quite high. Does that ever close in cases of bad weather? And even if it doesn't, does it become difficult or dangerous to drive?
Third, if we do end up taking this road, are there any sites of interest worth stopping at? From looking at the map, the only places I've heard of along the E62 are Lausanne and Brig, but I don't know much about them.
If anyone could offer advice on any of the above, I'd be immensely grateful; I'm thoroughly uninformed about Switzerland. And I realize that driving across the bottom of it will hardly make me any more informed, but we figure that if we have to make the drive anyway, we might as well do something fun with it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 hotmail mail solutions CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 4 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 5 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 6 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 7 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 8 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 9 Paris hotel
- 10 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 11 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 14 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 15 Stuck in Paris
- 16 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 17 Berlin to ?
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 22 Spain - day driver advice
- 23 Greece
- 24 Ex-pats with young kids
- 25 Iceland france spain