On our upcoming trip to Germany and Austria, we will be relocating from our pension in Bischofswiesen, Germany, which is near Berchtesgaden. We desire to drive over the Grossglockner Alpine Highway in Austria, and then continue on to Innsbruck or close to Innsbruck.
The local pension owner told me that it is about a two hour drive from Bischofswiesen to the Alpine Highway. I then read somewhere that it takes about 40 minutes to cover that highway; however, I suspect we will take a lot longer stopping for photos and a few breaks. It is really hard to pinpoint the actual entrances and exist to the Alpine highway on mapquest.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to exist the Alpine highway and make it over to Innsbruck please? If we don't stay in Innsbruck, is there a recommended town close by that would allow easy access to Innsbruck? Also, if anyone has traveled this path in one day, can you provide me with a realistic timeframe, start to finish please?
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 2 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 3 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 4 10 days in Paris and......
- 5 Luggage Storage
- 6 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 7 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 8 Summer Travel order
- 9 LIsbon
- 10 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 11 International Flight Question
- 12 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 13 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 14 Brugge hotel help
- 15 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 16 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 17 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 18 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 19 Another tipping question: concierges
- 20 Trip suggestion
- 21 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 22 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 23 Back from Paris
- 24 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 25 Musee Carnavalet closed for now
Drive time - Berchtesgaden over Grossglockner Alpine - Innsbruck