After some previous responses, (and some advice that I am still not following), we have the following draft itinerary for our three week trip to Europe.
Travelling with my wife and three kids (daughters 20 & 18 and son 16).
I have clipped a day each out of our original London and Paris plans to fit Venice into the itinerary, but it does seem to get frantically busy for the last week or so.
Would be interested in thoughts - I know that some of you have warned against the night train, but it will allow us to make a transfer without the "wasting" the at least half day that it takes to get to and from and airport in time for even a relatively short flight, and will bring us right into Venice early in the morning.
None of us have travelled to Europe before, and this will be our first (and probably last, given our kid's ages) international trip as a family, so we want to pack as much in as we can, and make it truly memorable.
Trying to stay a little bit flexible in London and PAris - getting everyone to write down the things that they really want to see and do, so that we can try to ensure that we do at least something that is special for each of us - which might even involve splitting up for a while!
Your thoughts would be appreicated - even if it to suggest that we get a supply of Red Bull or Gatorade on hand to keep up the pace!
Fri 30th Nov – 3am Depart Melbourne, Australia for London
Arrive London (Heathrow) 6pm
Apartment Kings Cross area
One day trip outside London – Windsor Castle OR Oxford OR Bath (considering one day car hire ex Heathrow for flexibility and to cover more territory
Friday 7th Dec
Morning Eurostar train ex St Pancras station to Paris.
One day to Versailles, otherwise enjoying Paris
Apartment - Latin Quarter
Wednesday 12th Dec
Night train Paris to Venice
Arrive Venice Thurs 13th Dec morning
Venice – Hotel Marconi, Grand Canal
Saturday 15th Dec
Morning train Venice to Florence
Accom somewhere central
Considering side trip (Monday) to Pisa OR Assissi (by train)
Tuesday 18th Dec
Early morning train Florence to Rome
Apartment – considering Coloseum area, but interested in opinions – have been told to avoid Termini Station area.
Wed – Vatican & Sistine Chapel – opportunity to see Pope
Thurs – Coloseum & Forum
Saturday 22nd Dec
Depart Rome for Australia
Monday 24th Dec – arrive Melbourne, Australia 2am
Get ready for family Christmas lunch at our house!!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ESET@ password Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 WEBROOT @Password Reset CONTACT 1:800 681 :7208 Techni* SUPP0RT
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 5 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 6 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 7 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 8 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 9 10 days in London in early December
- 10 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 11 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 12 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 13 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 14 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 15 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 16 tickets for Wimbledon
- 17 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 18 retruning to US with souveniers
- 19 How much do you tip a tour guide on an escorted tour?
- 20 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 21 Italy in January?
- 22 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 23 Iceland rental camper company
- 24 BELLSOUTH Password Reset CONTACT ☎1: 800:681:7208 BELLSOUTH Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 25 First steps for Russian trip planning