After some previous responses, (and some advice that I am still not following), we have the following draft itinerary for our three week trip to Europe.
Travelling with my wife and three kids (daughters 20 & 18 and son 16).
I have clipped a day each out of our original London and Paris plans to fit Venice into the itinerary, but it does seem to get frantically busy for the last week or so.
Would be interested in thoughts - I know that some of you have warned against the night train, but it will allow us to make a transfer without the "wasting" the at least half day that it takes to get to and from and airport in time for even a relatively short flight, and will bring us right into Venice early in the morning.
None of us have travelled to Europe before, and this will be our first (and probably last, given our kid's ages) international trip as a family, so we want to pack as much in as we can, and make it truly memorable.
Trying to stay a little bit flexible in London and PAris - getting everyone to write down the things that they really want to see and do, so that we can try to ensure that we do at least something that is special for each of us - which might even involve splitting up for a while!
Your thoughts would be appreicated - even if it to suggest that we get a supply of Red Bull or Gatorade on hand to keep up the pace!
Fri 30th Nov – 3am Depart Melbourne, Australia for London
Arrive London (Heathrow) 6pm
Apartment Kings Cross area
One day trip outside London – Windsor Castle OR Oxford OR Bath (considering one day car hire ex Heathrow for flexibility and to cover more territory
Friday 7th Dec
Morning Eurostar train ex St Pancras station to Paris.
One day to Versailles, otherwise enjoying Paris
Apartment - Latin Quarter
Wednesday 12th Dec
Night train Paris to Venice
Arrive Venice Thurs 13th Dec morning
Venice – Hotel Marconi, Grand Canal
Saturday 15th Dec
Morning train Venice to Florence
Accom somewhere central
Considering side trip (Monday) to Pisa OR Assissi (by train)
Tuesday 18th Dec
Early morning train Florence to Rome
Apartment – considering Coloseum area, but interested in opinions – have been told to avoid Termini Station area.
Wed – Vatican & Sistine Chapel – opportunity to see Pope
Thurs – Coloseum & Forum
Saturday 22nd Dec
Depart Rome for Australia
Monday 24th Dec – arrive Melbourne, Australia 2am
Get ready for family Christmas lunch at our house!!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 Meteora for older folk
- 3 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 4 Versailles
- 5 Tours of Versailles, Lyon
- 6 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 7 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 8 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 9 driving from prague to salzburg
- 10 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 11 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 12 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 13 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 14 Swiss Half Fare Card
- 15 Germany train help!
- 16 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 17 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 18 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 19 Sicily
- 20 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 21 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 22 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 23 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 24 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 25 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary