We are planning for our next holidays in Denmark & Norway. This will be our first visit to a Scandinavian country. Have been reading various sites but not much info is available. We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 10 years. We like to see palaces and visit scenic places something similar to the towns in Bavaria and Salzkammergut.
We will be using public transport and do not want to take any of the cruises.
We would like to arrive & depart from Copenhagen. First some general questions -
1. What is the food scene in these places? We are aware that they are very expensive places. Is the food on the go i.e. burgers/hot-dogs expensive at super-markets & at railway stations and are these easily available.
2. What is the rail site for Denmark and Norway? Would like to travel by train from Copenhagen to Oslo. Do they have tickets similar to lander ticket in Germany where the family can travel on slow trains for a low price? If yes, what are these tickets called.
We will not be taking night trains or the overnight ferry.
3. We are flexible with the number of days - have read a lot about the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trip. Since we will be travelling with big bags not sure if this trip can be done at one go. Can we break the journey in some nice place - which town & why?
4. Which fjords would you consider a must do and how do we go about it? We do not want to take any tours / cruises but would like to do it independently.
5. Have read about the glaciers in Norway. Which town should we be based in so that we can do the glacier excursions and the trips to the fjords.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stop between Dijon & the Loire Valley (Chinon)?
- 2 2 week in Europe Itinerary help
- 3 Slovania & Croatia
- 4 apartments florence
- 5 Costal Spain Vacation Rental House Advice
- 6 I'm back.....
- 7 KLM mandatory Animal Hotel SCAM
- 8 munich - day trips
- 9 honeymoon in november
- 10 Are you searching for Bulgarian trip?
- 11 Parking in Italy
- 12 HOTEL IN STOCKHOLM
- 13 Edinburgh in March
- 14 Paris gtg in October?
- 15 Very last minute Swiss train help!
- 16 Best coastal town within 3 hours of Barcelona (with kids)
- 17 Where do I pass through immigration in the UK
- 18 Departure Tax in UK
- 19 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 20 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 21 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 22 Seville itinerary critic and advice please
- 23 Immigration from Italy to Ireland to US
- 24 European Championship
- 25 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)