We are planning for our next holidays in Denmark & Norway. This will be our first visit to a Scandinavian country. Have been reading various sites but not much info is available. We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 10 years. We like to see palaces and visit scenic places something similar to the towns in Bavaria and Salzkammergut.
We will be using public transport and do not want to take any of the cruises.
We would like to arrive & depart from Copenhagen. First some general questions -
1. What is the food scene in these places? We are aware that they are very expensive places. Is the food on the go i.e. burgers/hot-dogs expensive at super-markets & at railway stations and are these easily available.
2. What is the rail site for Denmark and Norway? Would like to travel by train from Copenhagen to Oslo. Do they have tickets similar to lander ticket in Germany where the family can travel on slow trains for a low price? If yes, what are these tickets called.
We will not be taking night trains or the overnight ferry.
3. We are flexible with the number of days - have read a lot about the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trip. Since we will be travelling with big bags not sure if this trip can be done at one go. Can we break the journey in some nice place - which town & why?
4. Which fjords would you consider a must do and how do we go about it? We do not want to take any tours / cruises but would like to do it independently.
5. Have read about the glaciers in Norway. Which town should we be based in so that we can do the glacier excursions and the trips to the fjords.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Italian beach with teens
- 2 best shopping deals in paris and italy?
- 3 Scotland Highlands
- 4 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 5 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 6 Relaxing destinations?
- 7 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 8 Tips for 2 week travel in Europe of college students
- 9 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 10 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 11 3 Wake-up calls
- 12 Amsterdam, Brussels, Where Else?
- 13 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 14 5 full days in Rome too much?
- 15 10 nights in France
- 16 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 17 St Petersburg 3 day Shore Tours from Cruise
- 18 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 19 December in Deutschland
- 20 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 21 Where to stop along the way
- 22 A month in Siena, Italy
- 23 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 24 UNICO CAMPANIA sets new fare structure effective 1/01/2015
- 25 Dublin transportation help