We are planning for our next holidays in Denmark & Norway. This will be our first visit to a Scandinavian country. Have been reading various sites but not much info is available. We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 10 years. We like to see palaces and visit scenic places something similar to the towns in Bavaria and Salzkammergut.
We will be using public transport and do not want to take any of the cruises.
We would like to arrive & depart from Copenhagen. First some general questions -
1. What is the food scene in these places? We are aware that they are very expensive places. Is the food on the go i.e. burgers/hot-dogs expensive at super-markets & at railway stations and are these easily available.
2. What is the rail site for Denmark and Norway? Would like to travel by train from Copenhagen to Oslo. Do they have tickets similar to lander ticket in Germany where the family can travel on slow trains for a low price? If yes, what are these tickets called.
We will not be taking night trains or the overnight ferry.
3. We are flexible with the number of days - have read a lot about the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trip. Since we will be travelling with big bags not sure if this trip can be done at one go. Can we break the journey in some nice place - which town & why?
4. Which fjords would you consider a must do and how do we go about it? We do not want to take any tours / cruises but would like to do it independently.
5. Have read about the glaciers in Norway. Which town should we be based in so that we can do the glacier excursions and the trips to the fjords.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 2 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 3 Munich and....???
- 4 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 5 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 6 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 7 Road trip with our dog
- 8 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 9 italy Cinque Terre
- 10 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 11 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 12 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 13 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 14 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 15 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 16 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 17 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 18 Spanish Medical Providers
- 19 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 20 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 21 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 22 Can parking
- 23 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 24 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 25 VAT refund transferring through CDG