We are planning for our next holidays in Denmark & Norway. This will be our first visit to a Scandinavian country. Have been reading various sites but not much info is available. We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 10 years. We like to see palaces and visit scenic places something similar to the towns in Bavaria and Salzkammergut.
We will be using public transport and do not want to take any of the cruises.
We would like to arrive & depart from Copenhagen. First some general questions -
1. What is the food scene in these places? We are aware that they are very expensive places. Is the food on the go i.e. burgers/hot-dogs expensive at super-markets & at railway stations and are these easily available.
2. What is the rail site for Denmark and Norway? Would like to travel by train from Copenhagen to Oslo. Do they have tickets similar to lander ticket in Germany where the family can travel on slow trains for a low price? If yes, what are these tickets called.
We will not be taking night trains or the overnight ferry.
3. We are flexible with the number of days - have read a lot about the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trip. Since we will be travelling with big bags not sure if this trip can be done at one go. Can we break the journey in some nice place - which town & why?
4. Which fjords would you consider a must do and how do we go about it? We do not want to take any tours / cruises but would like to do it independently.
5. Have read about the glaciers in Norway. Which town should we be based in so that we can do the glacier excursions and the trips to the fjords.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Denmark & Norway in May 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London hotel
- 2 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 3 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 4 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 5 Day trip from London to Paris
- 6 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 7 Mont St Michel
- 8 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 9 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 10 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 11 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 12 nearby cities to london
- 13 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 14 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 15 Ancient Corinth info needed.
- 16 Tickets to Sagrada Familia
- 17 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 18 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 19 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 20 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 21 Porto -City Break
- 22 5 nights to get from Paris to Rome - What to do??
- 23 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 24 Lake como area on motorcycles
- 25 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?