We are planning for our next holidays in Denmark & Norway. This will be our first visit to a Scandinavian country. Have been reading various sites but not much info is available. We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years & 10 years. We like to see palaces and visit scenic places something similar to the towns in Bavaria and Salzkammergut.
We will be using public transport and do not want to take any of the cruises.
We would like to arrive & depart from Copenhagen. First some general questions -
1. What is the food scene in these places? We are aware that they are very expensive places. Is the food on the go i.e. burgers/hot-dogs expensive at super-markets & at railway stations and are these easily available.
2. What is the rail site for Denmark and Norway? Would like to travel by train from Copenhagen to Oslo. Do they have tickets similar to lander ticket in Germany where the family can travel on slow trains for a low price? If yes, what are these tickets called.
We will not be taking night trains or the overnight ferry.
3. We are flexible with the number of days - have read a lot about the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trip. Since we will be travelling with big bags not sure if this trip can be done at one go. Can we break the journey in some nice place - which town & why?
4. Which fjords would you consider a must do and how do we go about it? We do not want to take any tours / cruises but would like to do it independently.
5. Have read about the glaciers in Norway. Which town should we be based in so that we can do the glacier excursions and the trips to the fjords.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 2 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 3 The herbs in pure slim 365
- 4 Great Fare Sale Emirate Air
- 5 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 6 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 7 Route des Vins
- 8 Seville: Churches and Convent
- 9 2 days in Florence
- 10 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 11 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 12 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 13 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 14 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 15 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 16 base for Andalucia
- 17 Private tour guides in Bayeux
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 20 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 21 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 22 Windsor Castle
- 23 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 24 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 25 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer