Hello fellow travelers,
I am trying to get compensation under the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament due to a delayed flight. The initial flight was from BAR-JFK and then a transfer JFK-LAX. BAR flight was delayed by several hours and we were bumped to the next available connecting flight from JFK-LAX, which resulted in about 5-6 hour total destination delay. I wrote to Delta (we bought tickets through their partner Air France) explaining situation and have received a strange response, in summary: "We apologize for the delay, it was caused by air traffic controller and is considered extraordinary, however, here is $100 per ticket in gift cards as a gesture of goodwill." (sounds like BS to me)
Since the flight was 4000km+ they are liable for EUR600 per ticket from what I can tell. Can I pursue further claims with them if I accept the gift cards, or should I write to them that this is unacceptable? Also, how do I get information of why the flight was delayed, I have a feeling that they are lying about air traffic controller fault, and I am not even sure that it falls under an exception to issue compensation?
What would you do? Or have you dealt with similar cases?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 3 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 4 9 Days in Spain
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 8 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Driving through Paris
- 13 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 14 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 15 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 16 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Road trip with our dog
- 20 Frankfurt to UK
- 21 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 22 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 23 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 24 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 25 Electrical Power Conversion
Hello fellow travelers,