I am an American citizen that will be taking the train with my husband and 2 friends (one of them is German) from Frankfurt to Hamburg in June.
On the DB Bahn website, we discovered that there were 3 extremely discounted seats - *1st class* for only €109 total - so only about €35 each! We checked to see about 4 tickets the price jumped to €219 so we decided to just purchase the 3 cheap ones and made a second reservation for €69 (not nearly the same discount, but still a great deal compared to normal prices!).
I was able to select Compartment for both reservations, but had no ability to choose anything specific regarding where we would be sitting. I noticed on the confirmation page (once the payment was made) that it has the following:
- 1 Sitzplatz, 1. Klasse, Nichtraucher, Abteilwagen, 1 Fenster, Wg. 12, Pl. 56
- 3 Sitzplätze, 1. Klasse, Nichtraucher, Abteilwagen, 1 Mitte, 2 Gang, Wg. 12, Pl. 41 42 44
I understand that to mean # of tickets, 1st class, and the train/compartment type... but it looks like they assigned everyone train car 12 (good!) but seats 41/42/44 and 56 (not good!)
Is it possible for us to sit together even though the single reservation shows a different seat number? I've ridden on German trains before but in 2nd class, open seating.
I have emailed DB Bahn and requested this change, but I figured I should ask over here if that is even necessary.
DB Bahn - are Compartments flexible?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Toulouse and beyond -
- 2 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 3 Munich with a car?
- 4 Reservation needed in Germany?
- 5 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 6 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 7 Day trip on the Rhine
- 8 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 9 Germany-berlin marathon
- 10 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 11 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 12 museum passes in Rome
- 13 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 14 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 15 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 16 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 17 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 18 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 19 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 20 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 21 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 22 Estonia Amber
- 23 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 24 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 25 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days