We will be visiting Tuscany in August and staying in Siena for 4 nights. We are planning on having a evening tour of Siena the night we get there to get acclimated and spend time in the Piazza. Then looking to do a couple day trips. We will not have a car so will be using tours or public transportation and will be traveling with a tween and teen.
One tour we are looking at would go to Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa to see crystal making and visit to medieval castle of Sonnino. This would be about 5-7 hour tour by private driver.
Another tour would take us to coast to visit the islands of Giglio & Giannutri which includes a bus ride there and ferry ride to the islands (option to see just one or both islands) and time at the beach or to explore island. This is a full 11 hour day.
My kids are also interested in going to Pisa so was thinking this might be a good 1/2 day so we can enjoy time at the hotel pool and in Siena as well. Would bus or train be the best option for getting there? I know there are mixed reviews about visiting Pisa as it is touristy but I went when I was 15 and climbed the to the top and it is still one of my most vivid memories of Italy so thought it might be worth it if they really want to go.
So a couple questions.
1. Would you recommend different hill towns that would be good for their ages? Volterra?
2. Are the islands of Giglio and Giannutri worth the trip? Would you recommend seeing both or just staying at Giglio to spend more time at the sea?
Would love some suggestions and thoughts.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 Gites in Provence
- 4 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 5 Flight CANCELLED by British Airways without notice or refund
- 6 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 7 4 days in Provence in early June
- 8 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 9 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 10 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 11 Tips for a local Kingsday experience in Amsterdam?
- 12 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 13 Need Information about French Alps
- 14 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 15 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 16 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 17 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 18 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 19 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 20 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 21 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 22 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 23 Cordoba Overnight?
- 24 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 25 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report