We will be visiting Tuscany in August and staying in Siena for 4 nights. We are planning on having a evening tour of Siena the night we get there to get acclimated and spend time in the Piazza. Then looking to do a couple day trips. We will not have a car so will be using tours or public transportation and will be traveling with a tween and teen.
One tour we are looking at would go to Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa to see crystal making and visit to medieval castle of Sonnino. This would be about 5-7 hour tour by private driver.
Another tour would take us to coast to visit the islands of Giglio & Giannutri which includes a bus ride there and ferry ride to the islands (option to see just one or both islands) and time at the beach or to explore island. This is a full 11 hour day.
My kids are also interested in going to Pisa so was thinking this might be a good 1/2 day so we can enjoy time at the hotel pool and in Siena as well. Would bus or train be the best option for getting there? I know there are mixed reviews about visiting Pisa as it is touristy but I went when I was 15 and climbed the to the top and it is still one of my most vivid memories of Italy so thought it might be worth it if they really want to go.
So a couple questions.
1. Would you recommend different hill towns that would be good for their ages? Volterra?
2. Are the islands of Giglio and Giannutri worth the trip? Would you recommend seeing both or just staying at Giglio to spend more time at the sea?
Would love some suggestions and thoughts.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy in a week
- 2 SURPRISE TRIP
- 3 Jewish Vienna
- 4 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 5 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 6 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 7 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 8 Reaching the Lake District
- 9 Positano Hotel in September
- 10 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 11 seat reservations
- 12 Scotland itinerary advice
- 13 what is this Copenhagen building?
- 14 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 15 Brussels flower tapestry
- 16 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 17 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 18 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 19 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 20 Best Date for Vatican Museums?
- 21 Sardinia, Sardegna, Cerdena, tomatoe, tomato, tomate
- 22 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 23 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 24 Moldova and Transnistria
- 25 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?