We're in Salzburg in early Oct and am I looking at 2 day trips as per the below and I would like some guidance or feedback on whether they are achievable.
Day Trip 1 - Berchtesgaden/Hitler's Eagle Nest
We have booked a private tour of Hitler's Eagle nest in the morning and will be finished by 1pm.
I'm not sure what we should do after the tour finishes. I have a few ideas:
1. Walk around the town and head back to Salzburg
2. Catch the bus out to Wimbachklamm Waterfalls (I had just planned to do the short visit of approx 1hr before the next bus arrives) and St Sebastian Church for a look and then head back to Berchtesgaden for either a walk around the town or straight back to Salzburg.
Are we too pushed for time to do this option? The last bus departs Berchtesgaden for Salzburg at 6:15pm (although there are trains that leave later).
3. Lake Kongissee cruise and Jennerbahn - I had initially thought to do this but we are hoping to go to the lake district in Austria which is why I thought option 2 may be better on this day trip. And we may also be too pushed for time given the length of the boat cruise.
Day Trip 2 - Wolfgansee Lake + Hallstatt
- Bus Salzburg to St Gilgen
- Boat ride from St Gilgen to St Wolfgang
- Take the cog railway up to Schafberg
- Bus from St Wolfgang to Hallstatt
In Hallstatt we just plan to wander and perhaps go to the salt mines.
- Train back to Salburg
We don't mind long days and just enjoying the scenery.
Is the above achievable or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could plan it better?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Guide in Russia
- 2 Train travel
- 3 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 4 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 5 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 6 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 7 Barcelona - places to stay
- 8 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 9 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 10 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 11 travel fan 220v?
- 12 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 13 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 14 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 15 First Trip to Paris
- 16 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 17 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 18 B&Bs in Ireland
- 19 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 20 WWI Battlefields
- 21 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 22 Visiting Zurich
- 23 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 24 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 25 Switzerland