We're in Salzburg in early Oct and am I looking at 2 day trips as per the below and I would like some guidance or feedback on whether they are achievable.
Day Trip 1 - Berchtesgaden/Hitler's Eagle Nest
We have booked a private tour of Hitler's Eagle nest in the morning and will be finished by 1pm.
I'm not sure what we should do after the tour finishes. I have a few ideas:
1. Walk around the town and head back to Salzburg
2. Catch the bus out to Wimbachklamm Waterfalls (I had just planned to do the short visit of approx 1hr before the next bus arrives) and St Sebastian Church for a look and then head back to Berchtesgaden for either a walk around the town or straight back to Salzburg.
Are we too pushed for time to do this option? The last bus departs Berchtesgaden for Salzburg at 6:15pm (although there are trains that leave later).
3. Lake Kongissee cruise and Jennerbahn - I had initially thought to do this but we are hoping to go to the lake district in Austria which is why I thought option 2 may be better on this day trip. And we may also be too pushed for time given the length of the boat cruise.
Day Trip 2 - Wolfgansee Lake + Hallstatt
- Bus Salzburg to St Gilgen
- Boat ride from St Gilgen to St Wolfgang
- Take the cog railway up to Schafberg
- Bus from St Wolfgang to Hallstatt
In Hallstatt we just plan to wander and perhaps go to the salt mines.
- Train back to Salburg
We don't mind long days and just enjoying the scenery.
Is the above achievable or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could plan it better?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Choose between Nazare, Portugal or Merida, Spain
- 2 Please help with planning Italian honeymoon
- 3 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 4 Short Trip to Paris
- 5 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 6 Help with basic itinerary
- 7 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please
- 8 Visit to Engand
- 9 Alhambra ticket confusions
- 10 Cinqueterre
- 11 Scandinavia Itinerary help!
- 12 Final Four
- 13 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 14 Parking in Girona
- 15 1 week in andalusia in early June - suggestions please
- 16 Denmark-UBER has left the building.
- 17 Can't get in to Cordoba....
- 18 SNCF - low price for summer
- 19 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 20 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 21 Driving (hire car) in London…
- 22 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 23 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 24 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car
- 25 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?