I will be in London on part of my trip to Europe this summer. I would like to take a day to get out of the city and see some the English countryside before traveling northwards to Carlisle and Scotland. I have been searching the topic of solo day trips from London and I mostly get big tours through Viator. I am not sure I want to spend a day on a big bus although I am interested in some of the sights they go to. This leads me to my question. Can anyone suggest a possible day trip where I could possibly take in some history and see the countryside by bike or by foot? I expect I would arrive at my start destination by rail. I did find one article about hiking in Hastings. That seemed pretty neat. If I were to do that walk, is there a train to Hastings? Also, is it possible to get to Bodiam Castle from Hastings? The tour I imagine includes the countryside, a village, some water (a canal?), and maybe a castle. Is this fantasy? I do know that London Walks has a tour to the Cotswalds, but I think I am little more adventurous than what that tour offers. Thoughts? I will check back this weekend. Thanks...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dog friendly hotels
- 2 Vacation
- 3 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 4 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 5 Cambridge in May
- 6 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 7 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 8 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 9 No Periods in British Written English!
- 10 Self drive tour companies
- 11 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 12 Madrid/Lisbon
- 13 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 14 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 15 Day trip from Vienna (Prague, Budapest, Britislava, Salzburg)
- 16 Day trips around Vienna
- 17 Greek fuel cost
- 18 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 19 Killarney
- 20 Walking itinerary in England?
- 21 First time in Bulgaria
- 22 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 23 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 24 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 25 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations