We are in Rekjavik in late June for just 2 nights as part of a cruise which continues to Akureyri for one more night.
Rather than take the cruise- organized coach tour we are considering renting a van (7 of us) and self drive one day.
Can you recommend an itinerary that would allow us to see "must see sights "? Of course we want to avoid the crowds as well. We are not sure about the roads- will have a van, not off road jeeps. How far can we go and return comfortably in a day ? What time will it get dark end of June ?
Among other things would want to see a waterfall- Gullfoss ? Geyser-Strokkur ? And volcano ? We are OK with not seeing the Blue Lagoon.
I'd appreciate any suggestion you might have about a half day itinerary in Akureyri as well.
Thanks very much for your help.
Day trip self drive from Rekjavik
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Altitude sickness in Switzerland
- 2 Breaking out of the Nutshell: Oslo, Bergen, the Sognefjord and Copenhagen
- 3 Best place to stay with car in Lake Como/Maggiore
- 4 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 5 Fjords, How To?
- 6 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 7 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 8 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 9 Budget for 3 Month's
- 10 Ideas for Scotland trip
- 11 Italian cooking classes
- 12 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 13 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 14 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 15 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 16 London visit
- 17 Questions for my German friends
- 18 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 19 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 20 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 21 21 Days in Central Europe
- 22 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 23 Driving through southern Germany, would you book accomodation in advance?
- 24 Chip but no PIN
- 25 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?