Risky question but here goes:
What day trip would you recommend taking via train from London this June? Maybe St. Albans?
Bit of needed info:
I teach literature and ancient history, love Roman ruins and cathedrals, enjoy small villages and towns.
DD and I will be staying put in rooms in London for a week and traveling by train when we leave the city.
It will be my 6th trip to the UK, so I’ve “done” a lot of London stuff, many several times, as I’ve brought students on tours twice, as well as taken DH and DD “back” to several places. This trip I’m going to have a week in London, planning to spend 3-4 IN London with DD to see some things new and old. Plus then my students are arriving with another teacher chaperone for us to start a tour--London for 2.5 days, then Paris and the Alps. All that to say that while I’m only in London a week this time (before kids come and I’m locked into the tour stuff), I do have time to take trips outside of the city.
DD and I have picked a couple things: We are definitely going on a long day trip to Cardiff (unless we decide to “double-book” and stay there a night while keeping our London room). We are also going to Alton/Chawton to Jane Austin’s house; DD wants to do a bit of country walking and I’ll curl up with a book and rest probably. I MAY go to Cambridge. She MAY go back to Stonehenge.
In the past I have been to the following places, in no particular order, and I don’t want to return to them –this time: Oxford, Hampton Court, Greenwich, Brighton, Dover, Canterbury, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Salisbury and Stonehenge, Cheddar, Wells, Shrewsbury, York, Lincoln, Bodiam Castle, Chatsworth, Silverstone Racetrack, Hastings, Winchester, Rye, Glastonbury, Lincoln. (plus Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hadrian’s Wall, Durham, Shrewsbury, Conwy. And a drive through the Lake District and a bit of the Cotswolds.)
So, what day trip would you suggest—or do you have any opinion about the choice of St. Albans? I also have never been to Windsor although I figure that’s really more a half day thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 2 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 3 Rome Water Shortage
- 4 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 5 Visiting Zurich
- 6 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Moldova and Transnistria
- 9 Getting around London
- 10 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 11 Valencia Spain
- 12 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 13 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 14 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 15 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 16 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 17 The DCC scam is spreading
- 18 Favorite Champagne houses in Reims and surrounding area
- 19 Iceland in January/February
- 20 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 21 Driving in Italy
- 22 Paris in August
- 23 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 24 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 25 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
Risky question but here goes: