Risky question but here goes:
What day trip would you recommend taking via train from London this June? Maybe St. Albans?
Bit of needed info:
I teach literature and ancient history, love Roman ruins and cathedrals, enjoy small villages and towns.
DD and I will be staying put in rooms in London for a week and traveling by train when we leave the city.
It will be my 6th trip to the UK, so I’ve “done” a lot of London stuff, many several times, as I’ve brought students on tours twice, as well as taken DH and DD “back” to several places. This trip I’m going to have a week in London, planning to spend 3-4 IN London with DD to see some things new and old. Plus then my students are arriving with another teacher chaperone for us to start a tour--London for 2.5 days, then Paris and the Alps. All that to say that while I’m only in London a week this time (before kids come and I’m locked into the tour stuff), I do have time to take trips outside of the city.
DD and I have picked a couple things: We are definitely going on a long day trip to Cardiff (unless we decide to “double-book” and stay there a night while keeping our London room). We are also going to Alton/Chawton to Jane Austin’s house; DD wants to do a bit of country walking and I’ll curl up with a book and rest probably. I MAY go to Cambridge. She MAY go back to Stonehenge.
In the past I have been to the following places, in no particular order, and I don’t want to return to them –this time: Oxford, Hampton Court, Greenwich, Brighton, Dover, Canterbury, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Salisbury and Stonehenge, Cheddar, Wells, Shrewsbury, York, Lincoln, Bodiam Castle, Chatsworth, Silverstone Racetrack, Hastings, Winchester, Rye, Glastonbury, Lincoln. (plus Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hadrian’s Wall, Durham, Shrewsbury, Conwy. And a drive through the Lake District and a bit of the Cotswolds.)
So, what day trip would you suggest—or do you have any opinion about the choice of St. Albans? I also have never been to Windsor although I figure that’s really more a half day thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 2 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 3 Lisbon trip report
- 4 restaurants in Marais district
- 5 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 6 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 7 Any Lisbon or Porto trip reports?
- 8 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 9 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 10 Planning a European Trip
- 11 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 12 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 13 Ireland travel passport question
- 14 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 15 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 16 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 17 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 18 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 19 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 20 Norway Itinerary
- 21 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 22 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 23 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 24 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
- 25 Springtime Adventure in Europe
Risky question but here goes: