We're planning a trip to Europe late August/September, and will be in London August 28-September 2nd. We arrive at around 9:30am Friday, August 28 and leave very early Wednesday, September 2nd.
This will be my first time to London at all (though I've oddly made the trip to Wells through the countryside for work before), and my husband's first time as an adult (probably 15+ years since he's been in England).
I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to plan some kind of day trip, and if so where you would recommend. We've been tossing around the idea of Oxford or Bath or even Paris via train (I've never been).
The rest of our travels (10 more nights; 5 in Santorini and 5 in Barcelona) will be fairly relaxed so I'm not tremendously worried about becoming overwhelmed, but I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile. I really loved driving through the English countryside when I visited for work...but there are so many factors at play there, it's hard to really know if it would've been something I would've chosen to leave London for had that been an option.
If you do reco a day trip, do you recommend one of those tours (Viator, for example)? Should we just take trains solo?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 2 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 3 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 4 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 5 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 6 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 7 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Train help for Prague
- 10 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 11 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 12 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 13 driving from prague to salzburg
- 14 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 15 Swiss Travel Pass
- 16 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 17 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 18 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 19 Germany train help!
- 20 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 21 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 22 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 23 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 24 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 25 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)