I will be travelling to Lausanne for a business trip for around 8 days towards the end of August whereby I have around 3.5 full days on my own for a short vacation in Switzerland.
I'm planning to spend 1 to 1.5 days in Lausanne and will have round 2 full days to make either 2 day trips or stay overnight in one place that I intends to go.
I noticed there is several places that can be visited as a day trip such as Gruyeres, Vevey, Montreux and Castle Chillon, Estavayer-le-Lac or a little further away Zermatt, Annecy and Basel.
I've been to Switzerland 4 years ago for a short trip covering Geneva, Interlaken and Bern and I've got to say I like the scenery and the Swiss Alps (unfortunately when I went to Jungfrau there weather was not that great) and not really interested in the city like Geneva with Bern being the exception.
My preference would be to make day trip to small town/villages with landscape or scenery such as
Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Appenzellor or charming town like Stein am Rhein. However understand these are a little further away as a day trip but I am open to staying overnight.
Was thinking to visit Colmar by travelling to Basel and stay overnight in Basel but probably too little time to do both Colmar and Basel in 1.5 days.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 2 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 3 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 4 Hotel recommendations: Venice, Florence and Rome
- 5 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 6 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 7 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 8 Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion
- 9 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 10 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 11 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 12 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 13 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 14 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 15 Appenzell in December?
- 16 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 17 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 18 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 19 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 20 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 21 Traveling in Belgium
- 22 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 23 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 24 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 25 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)