I will be in Alba & Lucerne for 3 nights each in early-to-mid August. I am 29 and I will be with my 70-something year old great aunt who is a ton of fun. This forum has helped me immensely in my planning, but I still have a few questions!
1. Should we use day tours or try and go it ourselves? This is my second time in Italy, first driving (which I am nervous about). We will have a car in Alba, not Lucerne. Last year I took a few day tours that I really enjoyed. In Alba, will we be able to figure out the vineyards and enotecas and where to go on our own? And in Lucerne, is the public transportation easy enough? I have seen several day tours to the Jungfrau, Interlaken, Pilatus, etc. Not sure what direction to go in! I was thinking maybe one in each location? ANY advice would be helpful as I am not sure what direction to head.
2. I have read that many places in piedmont may not be open in August. I completely understand that it is not an ideal time to travel, but as a teacher options are very limited
Last year I stuck to larger places and had absolutely no troubles. Will this be an issue? Is it a big enough issue to change our plans??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 2 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 3 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 4 One free day in Barcelona
- 5 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 6 Greek Village
- 7 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 10 Sicily help
- 11 PARIS
- 12 Athens Help
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 "Too Much Cows"
- 15 Bordeaux to Nice
- 16 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 17 Thinking about the Fjords
- 18 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 19 Rome -- The next time around
- 20 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 21 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 22 Rome to Venice
- 23 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 24 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 25 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?