This forum was INVALUABLE in the planning of my trip to Switzerland. I did not post a lot of (any?) questions myself but I exhaustively read any threads I thought might help me. I realize in retrospect that this does not really contribute to the community—if nobody asked any questions there would be no answers for me to read—but it does seem as if plenty of questions get asked already! I hope this trip report will be useful for others who are planning trips and that will be how I pay it forward.
The back story: one of my cousins works for a food conglomerate in the US and was offered the chance to spend three years in Switzerland. He and his family are renting a house just outside Lausanne. Consequently, everyone they know is visiting Switzerland between now and 2013, including me and DangerMom (DM). I am in my mid-forties and my mom is, well, she’s old enough to be my mother. DangerHusband had a special trip of his own last fall, so it’s just me and mom.
I will spare you all the early iterations of my itinerary. Suffice it to say that Zermatt, the Glacier Express and most of the Graubunden got dropped in favor of not changing hotels as often.
Rail Travel: What kind of pass should I get? <thundering chorus> “DO THE MATH!” Oh, how I did the math! Every possible trip, day trip, side trip, reservation fee and class upgrade went into the spreadsheet. After a brief flirtation with several varieties of Flexi- and regional Passes, it came down to either a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass or a Half Fare Card (and P2P tickets). I opted for 2nd Class Swiss Passes and that turned out to be the right decision. Unless I have completely messed up my post-trip analysis, we saved about $125-$150 over the Half Fare Card option for what we did. About $100 of that is due to the fact that the exchange rate moved from $1.05 when I bought the passes to $1.20 when we were there, so the actual cost of the HFC option was about 15% higher in USD as it wouldn’t have been largely prepaid like the pass. We really liked being able to go to a museum and not feel like we needed to see EVERYTHING to get our money’s worth; we got about CHF 90 worth of museum admissions with the pass. We never bothered with seat reservations, upgrades to first class, or baggage services and that turned out just fine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 스타클럽카지노べ❈【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❈べ스타클럽카지노
- 2 Europe itinerary questions
- 3 블랙잭카지노べ❁【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❁べ블랙잭카지노
- 4 해피카지노べ✿【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✿べ해피카지노
- 5 실시간카지노정보べ✪【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✪べ실시간카지노정보
- 6 1 month in Europe
- 7 생방송카지노뉴스べ✩【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✩べ생방송카지노뉴스
- 8 신정환카지노べ☢【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】☢べ신정환카지노
- 9 플레이텍카지노べ☂【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】☂べ플레이텍카지노
- 10 카지노1번지べ✪【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✪べ카지노1번지
- 11 http://purelifegreencoffeebeanadvice.com/testoboost-pro/
- 12 실제카지노べ✤【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✤べ실제카지노
- 13 생활카지노べ✪【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✪べ생활카지노
- 14 카지노잘하는법べ❈【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❈べ카지노잘하는법
- 15 카지노룰べ♞【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】♞べ카지노룰
- 16 미니카지노べ♜【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】♜べ미니카지노
- 17 신뢰카지노べ♚【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】♚べ신뢰카지노
- 18 카지노추천べ✤【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】✤べ카지노추천
- 19 일본카지노べ♗【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】♗べ일본카지노
- 20 하노이카지노べ♦【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】♦べ하노이카지노
- 21 카지노정보べ❦【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❦べ카지노정보
- 22 경주카지노べ❤【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❤べ경주카지노
- 23 골드카지노べ❖【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】❖べ골드카지노
- 24 롯데호텔과카지노べ☭【 ＵＵＸ74。ＺＥ。ＡＭ 】☭べ롯데호텔과카지노
- 25 Mont St. Michel in winter
DangerGirl's epic LONG Swiss Trip Report