My husband and I have just returned from two weeks in the Czech Republic and couldnt have enjoyed it more. It helped that we had near perfect weathernot a drop of rain in 14 days and warm temps in the 40s and mostly 50s. We spent 6 days in Prague, then 4 in Cesky Krumlov taking several day trips in the surrounding countryside, then 2 days in Karlovy Vary before a final day in Prague and our flight home. The amount of time allotted seemed to work out perfectly.
I especially want to thank the person from this forum (and I apologize for not keeping his name) who encouraged us to rent a car and drive. In spite of reports about bad roads and police looking for bribes, we experienced no problems whatsoever and the opportunity to drive at a leisurely pace through the incomparably beautiful countryside was one Id encourage everyone to avail themselves of. It was really one of the highlights of our trip.
Overall the country seemed tidy, neither rich nor poor (I was expecting the latter), the citizens to be rather matter-of-fact and tolerant like the Dutch, and the entire experience like taking a step back in time to travel in Europe like it was 30 years ago when we made our first trips there. The countryside is rolling, green and beautiful with trees in bud and few if any billboards. The forsythia was blooming everywhere, as were daffodils and what appeared to be magnolias, just starting to come out. The price you pay for this beauty and unspoiledness is to drive slowly on one lane roads behind trucks and farm equipmenta good trade off for my money. While food in the countryside was mostly traditional (nothing wrong with that), Prague provided ample opportunity for international fare and even a few avant garde treats. The cost of most everything was quite inexpensive in comparison to most other European travel. Is this a great country or what?
Czech Republic Trip Report
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 2 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 3 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 4 Spain Travel
- 5 Itinerary Questions
- 6 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 7 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 8 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 9 at last an itinerary: feedback and hotel suggestions please
- 10 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 11 Bologna Restaurants open on Sunday?
- 12 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 13 Our Happy Return to Sunny Tuscany (plus a small bite of Bologna, too!)
- 14 A full week in The Netherlands
- 15 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 16 Photo trip report - Belgium/France/Germany
- 17 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 18 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 19 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 20 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 21 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 22 Lake como
- 23 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 24 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report