Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Timing when visiting the Dordogne Department
- 2 Train passes
- 3 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 4 Our time in Rome
- 5 Renting International Cars from USA
- 6 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 7 Flamenco concerts in Madrid
- 8 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 9 Enjoying England for a year!
- 10 Spain - Advice for Beach towns
- 11 Iceland in 4 days?
- 12 Europe itinerary
- 13 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 14 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 15 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 16 London road closings this weekend: Bike Race
- 17 Europe itinerary review
- 18 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 19 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 20 train from ravenna to parma
- 21 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 22 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 23 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 24 European Travel in March
- 25 Les bons plans de whathello - paris - hotel
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28