Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 아시안바카라(❥╱≫ BOO75.ZE。aM ≪╱❥)슈퍼카지노【슈퍼바카라】
- 2 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 3 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 4 Tuscan Country Side v Florence apartments with Child
- 5 Venice
- 6 Andalusia with kids What should they read before we visit?
- 7 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 8 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 9 Porto and vicinity
- 10 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 11 Self catering house area 't Gooi for young family
- 12 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 13 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 14 Norway fjord
- 15 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 16 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 17 7 days in Greece
- 18 Italy
- 19 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 20 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 21 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 22 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 23 Amsterdam Trip Report
- 24 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 25 Praiana to Positano
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28