Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Istanbul Itinerary
- 2 Half Day tours with Alla Tour Company
- 3 Germany and Poland Itinerary - Would appreciate feedback
- 4 Bologna tips
- 5 Transportation from Nice to Florence
- 6 Edinburgh - outings?
- 7 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 8 London and Where Else in late December?
- 9 Spain - Cadaques to Girona
- 10 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 11 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 12 What to wear
- 13 Scotland: Scone Game Day vs St. Andrews?
- 14 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 15 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 16 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 17 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 18 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 19 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 20 Madrid and London
- 21 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 22 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 23 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 24 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 25 Bologna airport to train to Florence