Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 2 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 3 Salamanca Spain - stay in town or nearby?
- 4 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 5 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 6 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 7 Nice/Monaco Train Question
- 8 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 9 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 10 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 11 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 12 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 13 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 14 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 15 base for Andalucia
- 16 Coastal Denmark
- 17 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 18 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 19 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 20 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 21 Seville: Churches and Convent
- 22 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 23 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 24 Apartment in Rome
- 25 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28