Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28
- 1 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 2 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 3 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 4 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 5 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 6 East coast trains
- 7 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 8 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 9 Which tour company would be best?
- 10 First night after arriving in Milan
- 11 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 12 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 13 France by rail or car?
- 14 Planning my days in Paris
- 15 Suggestions for Istanbul Stayover
- 16 Cinque Terre or Lake Como August - 3 nights
- 17 Otherchelebi and others in Istanbul
- 18 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 19 Rome weather forecast right now-is anyone there?
- 20 Rome, Florence, Sorrento in 1 week
- 21 ? re hotels in 5 terre
- 22 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 23 London at Xmas
- 24 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 25 Solo in Sicily - April 2013