Hubby & I ‘ve booked flight into Zagreb (end of September) and out of Dubrovnik (mid-October). Seek tips to optimize our budget holiday: thinking a full day in Plitvice Lakes Park, before heading to the coast to exploring Zadar, Sibenik, Trogir, Split before finishing in Dubrovnik. Tempted to visit Kotor and/or Budva.
FWIW, love the arts, architecture, museums, nature, local markets/picnics, blending in; would love to try kayaking in calm waters; dislike crowds, shopping, pools, sunbathing, clubbing, and commuting.
Tentative Itinerary, with overnights in Zagreb (2-3), Plitivice (2), Zadar (2), Trogir (1?), Split (3 or 4) Dubrovnik (5)
Tues day1: Zagreb afternoon arrival. Museum of Naïf Art. (Overnight in Zagreb hostel 2 or 3 nights)
Wed day2: Zagreb Historic Centre, opera/ballet in evening
Thur day3: Another day in Zagreb? is cemetery worth the visit?
Fri day4: Depart for Plitvice Lakes, possibly 2 hrs with rental car. (Plitvice, check-in)
Saturday5: Plitvice Lakes & National Park: am hike; pm swim
Sun day6: Depart for Zadar early (1.5 hr drive?) museum visits, check-in & sunset.
Monday7: Visit medieval Sibenik & Cathedral, raptor center (how long in car?)
Tuesday 8: Leave Zadar for Primoshen via ferry? beach then on to Split? or Trogir?.
halfway point -- 8 days left
Wed day 9: Trogir. (drop car, Split check-in 3 nights)
Thursday10: Explore Split: Diocletan Place, Rector’s Palace Split. beach/island.
Fri day11: Split Ferry to Brac (Zlatni Rat)
Saturday12: (Nat’l Holiday) ferry to Dubrovnik? (Dubrovnik check-in, 5 nights in same place)
Sun day13: Explore Dubrovnik: walk ramparts, museums.
Mon day14: Day out of Dubrovnik:Mostor / Budva, visit Bond’s casino?
Tues day15: Dubrovnik visiting Presqu’il de peljesac or Ston salt museum?
Wed day16: Last day. (Dubrovnik, fly home tomorrow morning)
1- What to modify, add / delete?
2- Transportation is concern, when to take ferry or bus. For which portion(s) of our trip, if any, is auto rental recommended? If, then where/when to pickup/dropoff the vehicule?
3- Where when best to visit Trogir? and using which mode of transport?
4- Where to stay overnight inexpensively so we aren’t always moving around/checking-in. ie Dubrovnik, Lupad, Sipan, Slano or Cavat. Think will lenjoy the novelty of ferry rides.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 2 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 3 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 4 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 5 Porte de Vanves or Clignancourt
- 6 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 7 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 8 Short Trip in July
- 9 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 10 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 11 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 12 First trip to England & Ireland-9 days in August
- 13 current best wisdom on taxis from CDG to 17eme
- 14 Cell Phone Question
- 15 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 16 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 17 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 20 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 21 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 22 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 23 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 24 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 25 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK