I will be travelling to Croatia this august with my husband & 2 boys (ages 7 & 9). We like beaches & relaxing but also sightseeing, history, trying new foods and seeing how the locals live. We arrive in Split on Tues Aug 12 at 7 pm & depart from Dubrovnik on Tues Aug 26 at 6:30 am.
I am trying to plan our 2 weeks there, where to stay & for how long. Which islands are better, which daytrips to take (by tour or on our own?) and the like. I have been looking at the ferry timetables but cannot seem to get clear schedules for August. So any info on that would also be helpful.
Tentatively, this is what I am thinking:
8/12 - arrive Split evening, ck in to hotel (or apt??)
8/13 - 1/2 day Trogir (take ferry or bus?) - Diocletian Palace in the evening
8/14 - day trip to Brac? or makarska beach?
8/15 - take ferry to Hvar (have to ck timetable to confirm times)
Stay in an apt in Hvar (any recommendations are appreciated)
8/16 - relax in Hvar
8/18 - Hvar
8/19 - Hvar
Can any day trips be done from Hvar? i.e. Vis, Brac, or any other island?
8/20 - leave for Dubrovnik - can Dub be reached by ferry from Hvar? Is this feasible/easy?
Would this be easier than going back to Split?
8/20 - 8/25 (as we leave Dub very early 8/26)
From Dub we would liek to do the following
Old Town/ walk the walls - easy enough to do any day
Day trip to Montenegro/Medugorje
Day trip Korcula
Other than that I am open to suggestions on apartments, beaches, day trips, tour agencies, etc etc.
All info is welcome & appreciated.
Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 2 A Sardinia trip report
- 3 Granada
- 4 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 5 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 6 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 7 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 8 All Set To Go!!
- 9 First time to Switzerland
- 10 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 11 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 12 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 13 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 14 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 15 Eastern Europe
- 16 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 17 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 18 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??
- 19 Switzerland help...?
- 20 Base for a Week in Normandy or Brittany in July
- 21 Airport ATMs
- 22 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 23 London to Paris by train
- 24 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 25 Spain and Portugal in Depth