I will be travelling to Croatia this august with my husband & 2 boys (ages 7 & 9). We like beaches & relaxing but also sightseeing, history, trying new foods and seeing how the locals live. We arrive in Split on Tues Aug 12 at 7 pm & depart from Dubrovnik on Tues Aug 26 at 6:30 am.
I am trying to plan our 2 weeks there, where to stay & for how long. Which islands are better, which daytrips to take (by tour or on our own?) and the like. I have been looking at the ferry timetables but cannot seem to get clear schedules for August. So any info on that would also be helpful.
Tentatively, this is what I am thinking:
8/12 - arrive Split evening, ck in to hotel (or apt??)
8/13 - 1/2 day Trogir (take ferry or bus?) - Diocletian Palace in the evening
8/14 - day trip to Brac? or makarska beach?
8/15 - take ferry to Hvar (have to ck timetable to confirm times)
Stay in an apt in Hvar (any recommendations are appreciated)
8/16 - relax in Hvar
8/18 - Hvar
8/19 - Hvar
Can any day trips be done from Hvar? i.e. Vis, Brac, or any other island?
8/20 - leave for Dubrovnik - can Dub be reached by ferry from Hvar? Is this feasible/easy?
Would this be easier than going back to Split?
8/20 - 8/25 (as we leave Dub very early 8/26)
From Dub we would liek to do the following
Old Town/ walk the walls - easy enough to do any day
Day trip to Montenegro/Medugorje
Day trip Korcula
Other than that I am open to suggestions on apartments, beaches, day trips, tour agencies, etc etc.
All info is welcome & appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy in August
- 2 Taking wine home from France
- 3 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 4 Berlin or Budapest?
- 5 2 nights in Cinque Terre
- 6 1st Time in Europe
- 7 Trips to include in Paris/Amsterdam visit
- 8 Spending money
- 9 Destination wedding venue suggestions Tuscany or No Italy
- 10 Afternoon Tea Ideas
- 11 One Week France, Mid Oct, after Paris
- 12 Naples & Amalfi Coast
- 13 Itinerary recommendation (Germany, Hungary, Austria and Switzerland)
- 14 September in Switzerland
- 15 Palace of the Popes
- 16 Traveling alone to France, Netherlands and Germany!
- 17 Italy-Switz family of 6: June 2015
- 18 buying Eruos in advance
- 19 Shopping in Paris
- 20 First Europe Trip... To cram or not to cram?
- 21 Spain and Beyond - Part Three
- 22 Who has used their iPad and sim card?
- 23 October too late for the Italian lakes?
- 24 2 week Scandinavia Trip
- 25 Greece to Italy by Ferry, Pros and Cons