Our friends our trying to convince us to change our vacation plans to Spain this summer and join them in Croatia. We had done planning for Spain but we are now considering travelling with them instead.
It will be no problem changing our flights and Croatia, with the preliminary research we have done here and on other sites (shhh, don't tell anyone), really does seem to have it all.
We will have 16 full days in Croatia. We will be starting off in the north, in the Istria region, then travelling south along the Dalmation coast, ending in Dubrovnik.
Any advice on where to base ourselves in Istria and as we travel south would be welcome as we do not want to move around that many times. We would like time at the beach, but the beach part of our trip does not have to be at a beach resort. We do not mind staying in a beautiful village near or on the beach so that we can use our car to travel to other beaches for a few hours. We have also read that we do not need much time in Dubrovnik (is that true?) and we enjoy seeing/staying in places that are less travelled.
Many people talk about Hvar and Korcula, but there seems to be so many islands to choose from so any advice on other islands that may be just as interesting and less touristy would be very helpful (if there are any that do compare to either Hvar and Korcula).
Also, it seems that many travellers say that spending some time in Split and Zagreb is important. Is it a must to spend a few nights in one or both of these cities?
We would also like to spend a a night or two in a hilltop village. Any advice on which one to look at?
Your help on an itinerary for these 16 days would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 2 Flights to Crete from NE coast of USA
- 3 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 4 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 5 Iceland car rental agencies
- 6 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 7 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 8 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 9 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 10 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 11 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 12 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 13 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 14 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 15 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 16 NL/googlehangoutApp/vodafone/again
- 17 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 18 Trad Music and Hops--Our Week in Dublin
- 19 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 20 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 21 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 22 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 23 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 24 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 25 Maximizing Norway time