Our friends our trying to convince us to change our vacation plans to Spain this summer and join them in Croatia. We had done planning for Spain but we are now considering travelling with them instead.
It will be no problem changing our flights and Croatia, with the preliminary research we have done here and on other sites (shhh, don't tell anyone), really does seem to have it all.
We will have 16 full days in Croatia. We will be starting off in the north, in the Istria region, then travelling south along the Dalmation coast, ending in Dubrovnik.
Any advice on where to base ourselves in Istria and as we travel south would be welcome as we do not want to move around that many times. We would like time at the beach, but the beach part of our trip does not have to be at a beach resort. We do not mind staying in a beautiful village near or on the beach so that we can use our car to travel to other beaches for a few hours. We have also read that we do not need much time in Dubrovnik (is that true?) and we enjoy seeing/staying in places that are less travelled.
Many people talk about Hvar and Korcula, but there seems to be so many islands to choose from so any advice on other islands that may be just as interesting and less touristy would be very helpful (if there are any that do compare to either Hvar and Korcula).
Also, it seems that many travellers say that spending some time in Split and Zagreb is important. Is it a must to spend a few nights in one or both of these cities?
We would also like to spend a a night or two in a hilltop village. Any advice on which one to look at?
Your help on an itinerary for these 16 days would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 2 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 5 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 6 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 7 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 8 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 12 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 13 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 14 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 15 Bruges
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 18 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 19 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 20 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 21 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 22 Planning A trip
- 23 A week in the Occitanie
- 24 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 25 Paris Neighborhood Help